Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stand in holy places.

Recently, Lily related an experience to me that she had in school.  Her teacher had noticed a wide assortment of pencils with their erasers chewed to pieces.  She asked the entire class who had done such a thing.  Lily gingerly raised her hand, risking embarrassment and shame by admitting to the "crime".  Shortly thereafter, several other kids in her class, followed suit, inspired by Lily's admission. 

Another experience we had with another daughter.  She and I attended a cultural performance together.  I dressed up for the occasion and asked her to do the same.  Grumbling and groaning, she asked if everyone else would be dressed up.  I said, "Not a chance.  This is Idaho.  You'll see jeans and t-shirts on many, nice casual on a good chunk, and dressy on the rest. "  When we got there, she kept a close eye on everyone's attire, taking note of how she fit in with everyone else.  She really did not want to stand out. 

I took the opportunity to point out to her that it's okay to be different.  Granted, wearing casual or dressy to a cultural performance is inconsequential.  But her desire to blend in is a trait which could cost her at some future date.  In For The Strength of Youth, a pamphlet our church has issued as a moral standard for youth ages 12-18 (and everyone else), it reads:

You are responsible for the choices you make. God is mindful of you and will help you make good choices, even if your family and friends use their agency in ways that are not right. Have the moral courage to stand firm in obeying God’s will, even if you have to stand alone. As you do this, you set an example for others to follow.

As I reflect on my own life, many of my proudest moments were when I stood up for what I knew to be right, even when I was in the minority(and, in some cases, completely alone).  It felt great!  I knew God had my back and I was confident in His promised blessings.   I was so proud to see that Lily was willing to risk embarrassment to be honest.  I know my other daughter wants to do what's right, and has the conviction to do so, even though it will be hard for her to stand alone.  I'm confident that, when it really matters, they will have the moral courage to stand up for what is good and true.  In fact, they might be surprised to find out that they do not, in fact, stand alone, but there are many others rallying behind them in the cause of truth.

No comments: