In a typical year, we try to plan our vacations around extended family and when we can see as many of them as possible. My memories of family reunions are fond, and I cherish the relationships I have with the families in which Tim and I grew up. Still, there's something about taking a trip with just one's little nuclear family. Let me explain.
I'm a bit of a control freak. When I prepare for extended family trips, I plan ahead for what awaits, most of which is completely beyond my control. This used to involve lots of deep-breathing. But I've learned to be flexible. Really flexible. I've learned that bedtimes go out the window. That sleep deprivation and lunch at 3:00 p.m. are a perfect recipe for discipline problems, at best, and a complete meltdown at worst. Cousins do strange things to my kids' memory of family rules. Schedules are pretty much non-existent. We fly by the seat of our pants most of the time (more so with one side of the family than the other). And just because a lack of bedtime and schedules is not the way I would choose to do things under most circumstances, I can relax and enjoy the time I have with extended family and take the tantrums and disobedience in stride. It's worth it to be with them.
On the other hand, my very favorite trips are the ones we've taken with just the six of us. And I've come to the conclusion that my controlling nature has much to do with my enjoyment of such trips. I get to plan everything to a "T". I've got our itinerary mapped out months in advance, acquired all the necessary accommodations and discount passes to our desired destinations. I've mapped out our routes and researched every possible activity from point A to point B. I planned our entire trip to the Oregon Coast a couple of years ago around low tide, if that says anything about how in-depth my research can be. I plan activities for the car so I don't have to resort to an endless stream of DVD's. In fact, our car's DVD player broke before summer began this year and we survived two (LONG, in capital letters) road trips without it. Imagine that.
Sure, things don't always go my way, but they do most of the time, and I like that. :)
I guess my point is, we will always put extended family first when planning vacations. We love them and have such great fun together. We are also so fortunate to be able to plan trips (or at least dedicate a portion of the trips visiting our extended family) to spending time with each other. Alone. I find that I come home from those trips on a high, having bonded with my husband and kids in a way that only being stuck in a car (or a plane, or a tent, or hotel room) for hours on end can provide. In fact, I never want to come home to the drudgery of home projects and chores and obligations. Hooray for family vacations! May the next one come quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment