Each year since Anna was in third grade, I've volunteered to be an art parent in at least one(but usually two or three) of my kids' classrooms. Basically, since our elementary doesn't have an "official" art program, I take the place of art teacher and plan lessons once or twice a month. It's a truckload of work and by May I kinda wish I'd have signed up to make copies or something, but then when September rolls around again I remember how much fun it is to a celebrity in my kids' classes and I sign myself up for another year of torture...I mean delight. And it truly is a delight, if you like that sort of thing. One of these days I will add detailed descriptions of art projects I've done (along with the attending powerpoint presentations) to benefit others but seeing as my last blog post was over six months ago, I think I'll stick to catching up on my pseudo-journal.
Back to art. Once a year, the students get an opportunity to display their works of art along the hallways of the school. It is quite a production - like the Met for elementary kids. The art parents line the hallways with black paper, mount and label all the art work, and invite families to come and see what the kids have been working on all year. It's a pain in the rear for we volunteers, but ultra-rewarding for the kiddos. Plus, there's food, so who's gonna complain?
Here are my littles in front of their classroom displays (three of which I put up, thank you very much).
Back to school night rolled around this year and I had to sit on my hands to keep from signing myself up to teach again, but, well, sometimes a girl's gotta say "no". Like when she's having a baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment