Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Straight to the source.

My baby screams a lot.  Like, a LOT.  Like any attentive mom, I go through all the steps: is he hungry?, check the diaper, does he need to burp?, is he tired?
I feed, swaddle, burp, kiss, change and rock this sweet child in an effort to calm his sensitive soul.  Sometimes he just plain won't stop crying.  Tim blames it on bad habits learned in the hospital.  I don't know what to think.  If he were absolutely inconsolable I'd have to wonder, "Did he break something?" Because, let's face it, that's a very real possibility right now.  But he has brief periods of calm so I resign myself to the reality of a colicky baby.  
As a side note, we changed Jack's formula the other day, which has reduced his gassiness substantially, but he still has bouts which make me wonder if he just might be possessed.  Poor kid.  Poor me.
Anna was colicky and she was exclusively breastfed so I can't chalk it all up to his diet.  Plus, he's in a freaking cast, remember?  I can't even imagine what that would be like as a newborn.  And he can't even tell me what he needs.  So he cries and cries.  And cries.  While we comfort and love and ultimately wait it out.
I'm incredibly grateful that I am a mother of five and have witnessed colic so that I don't second guess myself about whether or not Jack has fractured something again.  I'm also grateful for access to the ultimate source of truth, our Father in Heaven, who provides answers when we need them, if we but ask.  
It's so easy to scour the Internet for advice on this or that in the hopes of finding a solution to life's every dilemma.  Don't get me wrong, Google is my friend, too. However, I hold to the wisdom found in James 1:5 that if anyone lacks wisdom, he should ask of God, who will give to us liberally.  He will help us sift through the wealth of information to find what is right and true and relevant to us personally.  
I trust Him as the source of all light and truth to help me through this uncharted territory and care for my son in the best way possible.  

3 comments:

Joe said...

Oh how we'd love to be there to hold and kiss little Jack! Esmée had colic behavior as well just after she was born. Due to a few reasons, we had to put her on formula and it wasn't until we went with a type called Nutramagen that she stopped having colic behavior. For a time we also added what's called "Gripe Water" per our Pediatrician's recommendation and when things got really bad, we had a low dose prescription Zantac for babies that we resorted to. All combined, it helped, but yes - lots of lost sleep can make for a very tire mommy! Praying for you guys!

Pam Kennedy said...

If you need a break, don't feel bad about asking for it. I am one of many who can listen to a crying baby for you while you take a nap or go to the store.

Pam Kennedy said...

If you need a break, don't feel bad about asking for it. I am one of many who can listen to a crying baby for you while you take a nap or go to the store.