Monday, November 23, 2009

Terrible threes.


Three is not a good age at our house. I have a theory about why that is, but I'll save it for another post. Regardless, Rachel turned three last week! She wet her pants about three times that day in celebration of the fact.

Rachel is bright, affectionate, independent, confident, compassionate, and beautiful. Pictures don't do her justice at all. She's got edible fair skin and the most unique eyes (in shape, not so much color). I love to stare and stare at her. At least until she yells at me to go do something else.

Her most unique feature is her desire to learn new skills. She loves to sit down with me and Lily to read, even though the pace at which Lily does so is painfully laborious. It's as if she's trying to glean a few skills herself. She helps around the house with laundry, tidying, cooking and was (by far) my earliest car seat buckler/door opener and closer. This desire to learn (and be independent) has eased the transition from 3 to 4 kids as I don't have to do everything for everyone. Just Eve (and Lily... who is a completely different character).

On odd years, we opt out of a traditional birthday party with friends and let the birthday kid choose a family activity. She decided on the zoo. Brrrr. We had a great time ducking into the warmth of indoor exhibits at every opportunity. It's not often that our whole family gets to go to the zoo together (usually just mom and the girls) so it was particularly fun.

Rachel, you are adorable. Happy third birthday!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Rachel is delectable! Talking to her on her birthday was pure joy - hearing that sweet, sweet voice is heaven on earth!

Valerie said...

I just re-read my comment - oh my, a bit over the top, but you get the picture. I love her!