I've had serious writer's block in recent weeks. Not that I would call myself a talented writer on any day, but still. Life goes on and I've nothing to document the rigmarole that ensues without ceasing. I'm starting to think that Facebook or Twitter might be a better venue for my record-keeping, since time to type comes in spurts around here. My mind is constantly going a mile a minute - how can I sit still long enough to concentrate on churning out anything more than a paragraph of value. Just look at the one I've typed thus far... worthless!
So here's me, shooting from the hip at recounting the last few weeks.
I was called as the Laurel adviser in our ward (that's Mormon jargon for: I teach the 16-18 year old girls at church). They are a phenomenal group of young women. They're preparing for a cultural celebration the night before our recently renovated temple is rededicated in November. Very exciting indeed. The only downside is, instead of getting to interact with them at Wednesday night activities, I get to watch them rehearse. Fun - just not the relationship-building I had hoped for upon my inauguration.
I signed up to teach art in each of my three elementary school kids' classes. What was I thinking? Oh yeah, I asked the girls' opinions on the matter and had to score brownie points. I have big ambitions of posting some of the art projects here, as proof that I actually do something around here, but I've yet to find the time...
Our cat Zags is a killing machine. We can now add "mutilated rabbit" to the list of animal remains found on our back lawn.
Last week I used my iPad to give my Family Home Evening lesson. Welcome to 2012.
I'm fired up about the election. Is it coincidence that Obama has scored extra minutes of talking time on Romney in both debates and has been interrupted by the moderator less than a third of the time Romney has? Maybe, but the fact that the mainstream media is so kind to him(whether intentional or not) only makes him look worse in my eyes.
Our digital converter box (our link to a mere 7 TV channels) quit on us last Christmas, rendering our TV useless. We haven't missed it.
My kids - all four of them - are difficult. When I talk to friends, they often mention that "one" child over whom they spend sleepless nights worrying, who is "spirited" far above the rest. Certainly, I have one who outranks the others in her spiritedness, but really, they're all giving me a run for my money. Pretty much every day. Anyone know when this parenting thing gets easier?
I had high hopes for getting a smartphone. And then I read an article documenting how studies have shown some people would rather cut back on their grocery budget than lose their smartphone. Though I'm at no risk of having to do so and can certainly afford upgrading, the article appealed to the cheapskate in me and I came to the conclusion that I can hold off a bit longer on being connected at all hours of the day. Does that make me weird?
My Thursday and Sunday nights are booked through November - I'm rehearsing with a 274-voice choir that will perform a pre-Thanksgiving concert. So nice to revive virtually unused talents...especially for a good cause.
My kids have this sweet spot across the field behind our house where they like to play. They call it the "Great Tree". It's basically Swiss Family Robinson at its best. They each have their designated "rooms" and pretend to be Star Wars characters for hours on end. I think they're still in denial that their sanctuary will be losing its leaves in the coming weeks.
Tim and I went on a whopping three dates in one week. Definitely a record. Expensive, too.
I teach Joy School in the morning. Good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I hear you, girl!! I have lots I could say, but I am also trying to get my rear into bed and my brain to shut-down mode ... BUT I did want to tell you really quickly about a website I love: artprojectsforkids.org. It is the best! On the lower left sidebar there is a menu organizing posts by appropriate grade level. There are also some projects coordinating with certain artists in case you are doing a unit that way. I love it and hope it helps. (You may have already discovered it, but just in case!) Love you!!! And hang in there with those kids. You are an inspiration to me as an amazing mother (I'm good at reading between the lines).
Susie, I love to read what you write. You make help me remember that what I am doing (the same thing you are doing) is valuable and important. Seriously, thank you.
Thanks guys - I need some validation every once in a while!
Post a Comment