A couple of weeks ago, I was playing Monopoly with Lily and Tim on a Sunday. The other kids had gone to bed, and Lily was pleased as punch that she got to keep us up late (even if we were only doing it to deprive her of sleep in preparation for an EEG the next morning - story for another day). I was tired already but the game got off to a pretty good start and was relatively even-handed for a good hour. That's where my luck ran out. Lily and Tim both slapped down a bunch of houses and I managed to land on every single stinkin' one before I could get around the board again to collect $200 for passing "GO". It got downright depressing from there on out - I pretty much couldn't get ahead again, and I turned into more of a spectator than a participant - suffering loss after loss, mortgaging my properties and finally bowing out thanks to the time. Still, for over an hour I had to suffer through a torturous game in which I merely endured blow after blow after blow. It was not fun.
I didn't go down without a decent amount of whining and complaining - but, in my defense, my anger over the Monopoly game was merely a reflection of my emotions over something much deeper. Two days earlier, I had suffered my third miscarriage in the last year. I really threw Tim for a loop, when, after cleaning up the game and putting Lily to bed, I started moaning and groaning about "wasted time" and how I loathe it. Then the tears started flowing and he didn't know what to make of it. It's a stupid Monopoly game, for crying out loud. But it wasn't. I was mourning the 27 weeks I've spent since November being pregnant with no baby on the way to show for it. I was grieving over the hours I'd spent feeling crummy and tired and grouchy - feelings I was willing to endure so that we could add another child to our family. But it just isn't to be right now. And probably never.
All of the kids have been anxious to have a little sister (or brother, depending on who you talk to) for some time now. We had them all so close together that they were too young to recollect what it was like to have a baby in the house. Anna, when I told her why we probably weren't going to have any more children said to me, as only a child could say, "Mom, why don't you just keep trying?" Oh, if only it were that simple. For those with recurrent miscarriages, a reason is found only half of the time. And among those with a diagnosis, it still requires a fair amount of emotional energy (and financial investment) to take the steps necessary to carry a baby to term. Tim and I are still reeling from the last nine months and feel unwilling to make that investment(especially given my age). We prayed about having more children and felt good about it. A part of me will always want that "big" family of five or even six. But we also feel incredibly blessed to have four beautiful, healthy daughters and, for now, have decided that four is, in fact, enough. So much so, that I sold all my baby stuff in a yard sale last week (maybe a little hasty, but whatever). And I might just feel a little bit relieved that I will only be 50 years old when the last of my children leaves the nest.
In summary, here's how I feel about the whole thing. I'm somewhat sad. I'm a little ticked off about the wasted time and effort that never materialized into something measurable. The activities I'd postponed because of that due date in August, then the one in October, and another in March. Still, I have been through enough in my life that I know that the majority of challenges we face carry long-term benefits, if we are but willing to see the big picture. I don't see it all yet. But I have faith that I will someday. And let's be honest, I have four kids. Four wonderful kids! No room to complain, really.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hi Susie. I was taken back by this entry. I am sorry for a lot of heartache you have experienced lately. The only words of comfort I have are what you already know which is #1 pray always for comfort and reassurance. And #2 No matter what happens in life, it's all in the Lord's timing. But like I said, you already know that. You are inspiring to me. Love ya!
Thank you, Tracy. Even when you know what we know, life's challenges still stink to high heaven. But it does make it easier. As do the comforting words of friends. Thanks for popping in.
And by the way, I love working with your daughters. They are truly special.
I'm very sorry for all you have been through. The heartache is hard to deal with once...let alone three times in a short span! Praying for your comfort!
I am sorry to here this Susie. One of my favorite things about you is your honesty and I appreciate you having shared these difficult feelings and thoughts. I hope this Fall brings wonderful things for you.
I'm so sorry Sus! I'm kicking myself as I type. I ran into your cute mom at the temple the other day and have had you on my mind ever since. And I've had the thought many times to call you over the past few months...and then got busy doing something else. I wish I would of called you and been there for you. I am really sorry that you've gone through such loss and heartache! Love you!
Susie -- Amanda here. I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, although you were so far along this time, it really should really be considered a stillborn.
I can only imagine how disappointed you feel. When I miscarried a year and a half ago, I was surprised by the mix of emotions that overwhelmed me, giving me a new appreciation for all those other women who have experienced similar loss. . . I can't imagine miscarry ing three times in a row, though, and that far along.
I know how much you love being a mother, and mourning the loss of being able to experience another baby is a very real thing. I hope you are gentle with yourself and and carve out some time to allow the wave of emotions to fully wash over, subside, and then heal...
(Also, promise yourself to join us next summer in Alaska where we can spoil you rotten! :-))
Wow. Hugs to you, my friend.
Susie, I'm so sorry you have been going through this. Even though I have had several miscarriages it's hard to know exactly the way something is thinking or feeling. I hope that things work out for the best for you guys. You are so great to realize the blessing that you do have four wonderful amazing healthy children. We miss you guys, next time you are down this way we would love to see you!
Post a Comment