Monday, October 28, 2013

Saturday(aka: recover from a crazy week day).

We woke up in the afterglow of a BYU win Friday night.  Tim and I had gone to a restaurant downtown where all 20 TV screens were trained on the game, but, understandably, we were the only ones rooting for BYU.  I even neglected to wear my school's attire for fear someone would spit in my food.  There's something so "in-your-face" about strolling into a Boise restaurant wearing the opposing team's gear when you're up by three scores.  That didn't stop Tim.

In any case, it was pretty much the first time I'd sat down all day - what with a 1st grade art lesson, early release from school, and hosting 12 six-year-olds at a Halloween party.  So I didn't have to give Tim a hard time about the fact that watching BYU clobber Boise State doesn't exactly count as a date.  I was ecstatic just to eat something besides popcorn and candy and to put my feet up.  High standards around here, I tell you.

I'd promised Anna breakfast at IHOP and Saturday morning was as good a time as any.  She needed a few new shirts so we capped off our morning with a bit of shopping. While we were in the dressing room, Anna noticed that I was not picking out anything for myself.  She wondered why I never buy myself new clothes, to which I responded, "Well, I don't really grow out of anything like you guys (not that I'm going the other direction, either), so I don't replace my clothes unless they are worn out, or I haven't worn them in over a year (can be otherwise stated: they are so lame and out of style I can't bear the thought of wearing them in public).  She replied:  "It must be boring to be an adult because you don't get any new clothes."

Well, if getting new clothes is the gold standard for boredom busters, I suppose it is pretty boring to be me.  But I set the record straight by assuring my oldest daughter that I am never, EVER bored.  In fact, sometimes I miss being bored.

We spent the afternoon enjoying the weather, taking a nap (in my case), and catching up on to-dos.  Then Tim and I went out to visit with some friends at a birthday party.  Our babysitter had explicit instructions to put the kids to bed at a certain time and report to me if they did anything besides read or sleep after the appointed time.  I got a good report, other than for Eve - who spent a good half hour running around naked before settling into her pajamas and reading a book.  I could tell the babysitter was a bit baffled when I replied that her behavior was "perfectly normal".  Sorry babysitter, that's how we roll around here.

And there you have it - an average Saturday..

No comments: