We got to the hospital, settled into a room, was attached to a monitor for 3 contractions, cervix checked(I was dilated to a 5, only one centimeter more than I had been the day before at my OB visit). I asked them how soon I could get an epidural(I was already done with the whole laboring thing and, having had three unmedicated labors decided that I was too old and tired to do it again). They told me to walk around for 45 minutes and they'd check me again, admit me to the hospital(wait, what?), and administer an epidural at that point. Remember how I was doubled over in pain with each contraction? Worst news ever.
We paced the halls for a few, then filled the prized jetted tub which I had never before enjoyed because my babies had come before I could set foot in them. Wow was that an experience for which I was grateful! It was divine(if any part of labor can be considered so). The nurse checked me again, dilated to a seven and said dumbly, "Okay, we can admit you now and get an IV started for your epidural." P.S. I have nothing against nurses in general but, to be honest, they are not all created equal.
The ensuing 45 minutes entailed three pokes for an IV, one poke for an epidural, many agonizing contractions and the inevitable failure of the epidural to take effect before having to push(which is the part that freaks me out and which I was hoping I could dodge this time around). I should have known better.
So I felt every stinkin' bit, bringing my grand total (of natural labors) to four. And I didn't even get the luxury of not having an IV, getting up and walking immediately after delivery. But really, what does all that matter when you get to greet this bundle of deliciousness? All six pounds fourteen ounces of him.
Instant love, I tell you. Welcome to the world, Jack.
Instant love, I tell you. Welcome to the world, Jack.
No comments:
Post a Comment