Monday, May 17, 2010

Girls vs. boys.

Yesterday the speaker in church mentioned that he had raised four girls. My ears perked up a little. He then said that his girls had since married and blessed him and his wife with many grandsons, who, he noted, were quite different from the girls he had raised. He noted that, while cleaning up after the grandkids left their house, he would find little knobs twisted off of lamps, things taken apart (which weren't meant for such things) and other little tokens of destruction strewn throughout their abode. He attributed these behaviors to gender differences, which is a valid point, as boys are typically more physical and girls emotional.
I chuckled to myself and looked over at my husband, who was thinking the exact same thing as I. You see, we've got both physical and emotional here in our house full of sugar and spice and everything nice. The oldest has pooped in the floor vents, stuffed Costco-sized vitamin bottles down the toilets, and, most recently given herself treadmill burns up and down her arms all in the name of curiosity.


The second, though not inherently destructive as the first, channels it all into her emotions, and, while barfing as our extended family enjoyed a trip up to the mountains last weekend proclaimed loudly that she had "mountain sickness" and that she "had to get out of there" because it was "in her brain". Crazy. Just crazy. She also has a "knack" for domesticating worms and roly poly bugs.
And now onto number three. Well, she has a temper. The kind that involves hitting and kicking. And pushing and scratching and calling people stupid. And an occasional bite. I dare any boy her age to take her on.
Number four? Well, she's just perfect. But it's too soon to tell with her. However, she has already earned first prize for messiest eater. Yep, this one does not mind getting her hands dirty (or her face, or hair, for that matter).

My point is, some people assume that raising young boys is more difficult than girls. I beg to differ. Though I will admit that when we have boys over to play, it takes the energy level in my house up a notch. But only a notch. In my limited experience, girls are tough. But I'll take 'em. I'm hoping that all the hard work will pay off when they are married and still call home to talk to me. A mother-daughter relationship is priceless. And I've got four of them.

4 comments:

Jessica Waters said...

Susie I completely relate on this one! I've got four girls of my own both the physical and emotional. And although most days are completely exhausting I love that mother daughter relationship and I look forward to those days when they call home to me. Love it.

reyesohana said...

Hmmm . . . maybe they are not as different as we think they are. I thought I had all the drama and emotion I needed with dealing with just my three boys.

Valerie said...

Then there's the family who has a mix of boys and girls, in which each gender influences the other, and you have double trouble...

Annie said...

Well said, well said!