Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Misery loves company.

When Lily was two or so, I took her regularly to storytime at the library. She had grown accustomed to "Miss Tammy" shaking her hand during the song with which she opened each and every storytime. But on this particular day, her luck was such that her favorite storyteller inadvertently skipped over her frantically waving hand, busy shaking other kids' hands. Lily lost it. I knew even before the face began to fall and her body started to shake that we were all in for a treat. I made a beeline for the front of the room, grabbed her with one arm (pretty sure I was using the other to hold a nursing Rachel) and carried her from the room, hoping to avoid the inevitable blood-curdling scream that my children are so famous for. We didn't make it. No matter - because apparently the whole experience was very therapeutic for another mother in the room, who came up to me afterward, expressing her relief that hers was not the only child whose scream could cause premature deafness. I laughed.

Similarly today, we arrived at the pool for yet another morning swim team practice for Anna. I gathered a few chairs for me and the three younger ones, then hunkered down for 45 minutes of keeping them alive (bare minimum) and entertained (at best) while Anna swam laps. Within a minute of arranging ourselves, Lily and Rachel erupted in some squabble over who had the My Little Pony coloring book last - an argument that contained a few "You're so stupid"s and the like and ended amicably, but only through coercion, of course. Once settled, a lady behind me remarked - I'm so glad mine aren't the only kids that fight. I laughed again and we chatted for a bit about our kids, our conversation ending in her feeling a little bit less alone in the world, I think.

Now, I pretty much gave up on all pride after having Eve (and am a bit embarrassed that it took four kids to beat it out of me). And though I'm happy to know that my children's behavior - usually interpreted as a parental shortcoming - brings peace of mind to other parents, I can't help but wonder why they would mention it out loud. Maybe they're trying to make ME feel better. In any case, for the sake of putting all other wanna-be supermoms out there at ease, I think I'll put a stop to all housecleaning from here on out. And tomorrow, I'll take all four of them to the grocery store at 5 p.m. with no naps, lock them all in seat belts and deprive them of their rightfully-earned cookie from the nice bakery lady. It's for the good of every mom out there, after all. I'm just making you feel better.

3 comments:

Karen Caldwell said...

you're not alone Susie. Having 4Girls is pretty "special" isn't it. But good for you for taking them to storytime and swimming. It's alot better than me this summer. It says a lot about you and your mothering skills. Keep up the good work.

Valerie said...

You're hilarious, Susie. There are very few moms, I'm sure, who can't totally relate to your experiences. And it DOES feel good to know that one is not alone in the struggles of parenthood. Obviously, these aren't my present parenting struggles, but, oh, the memories your stories elicit! And, I love your little angels, deafening screams and all!

Tracy said...

I love you. That's all, I just do. :)