Sunday, November 20, 2011

High five.

Rachel turned five this week. Her request: A rainbow cake. "A rainbow chip cake?", I asked, desperately hoping that an affirmative answer would make the job ever so much easier than the rainbow cake I had made for her sister a year or two earlier.
No luck. She wanted a rainbow-shaped cake. Thanks to my best friend, the internet, and the lovely people who post their creativity thereon, Rachel got her wish.



This year she got a "family" party where she got to choose a special activity as a means of celebration. We went horse-back riding. After dusk. On the coldest day of the year, thus far. The girls didn't seem to mind.







Even Eve got in on the action.



I cannot say enough good about you, Rachel. One of our favorite family stories is of your birth - you landed on the bed, thanks to a couple of nurses who thought I didn't know what I was talking about when I said you were coming. Eh, it was the night shift, so I cut them a bit of slack.

You are a peacemaker (but not a pushover), you love to help your mother, you keep a tidy room (can anyone else say this about any of their children... anyone?), you are smart, and fun, and beautiful, and agile, and affectionate, and gracious and, and, ... Like I said, I cannot say enough about you. Happy fifth birthday, my dear. Now just stop growing up, will you?

3 comments:

Cherish said...

What a fun cake! I love it! And horseback riding...what an awesome birthday! Happy Birthday Rachel!

Tracy said...

Love your blog, Susie!! I have one that keeps a clean room too - the others do only because it's a rule and they know they won't be able to go out and have any fun if it's messy, but Aubrey does it naturally. :) Love the rainbow cake!!! Love your girls!

Topsy said...

Hey Susie. I was just scanning old posts before printing our scrap-blog-book and I saw all your comments. I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your fun and uplifting comments. I didnt' realize how often you wrote, although I probably did at the time. Anyway. Thank you for keeping my spirits up.