Monday, December 5, 2011

Lily's idea of eating right.

There is one area of parenting in which I find myself a complete and utter failure. Okay, there are many, but I'm trying to limit this post to 10,000 words or less. My kids are rotten eaters. One takes the cake (no pun intended), but they all(except the blessed two-year-old) are exasperating at least once a day when it comes to eating their vegetables.

When the girls make their lunches in the morning, I don't even enforce any rules about packing anything green because I know it's going to get tossed. I just make them eat the healthy stuff in the limited hours they have at home. It's not an ideal system, but trust me when I say I know who I'm working with here.

The kids are indoctrinated in the ways of healthy eating. And, as most kids want to know the whys of eating greens, they've been taught the relationship between sugar and sickness and what one's poo should look like when they're eating right (which, inevitably, it never does). It's not as if I'm not trying.

Failure is inevitable, I've decided. With two parents who boasted less than stellar records at trying new foods as children, I shouldn't be surprised at how mine turned out(we're still holding out hope for Eve!). Still, it's demoralizing.

Anyway, just the other day Lily was for the five.thousandth.time asking me why she needed to eat her vegetables, I set aside the textbook answers with which my food science class in college had equipped me and told her that it is a commandment. Our bodies are a gift from Heavenly Father and he expects us to treat them well. If we do, we are blessed. If we don't, they go to pot. Simply put.

So tonight, here's what she came up with for our Family Home Evening treat. In her words, "Mom, since we're trying to take care of our bodies, I thought it would be better if we just had a little treat." They're called rainbow cakes. AKA: smashed Skittle sandwiches.



I had to beg Tim to suck it up and ingest one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If this were Facebook, I would like this post over and over. Oh Lily! Love that girl.