One way we beat the winter doldrums around here is by celebrating Chinese New Year. My ties with Asia go way back, I love cooking Chinese food and hosting friends so there you have it - the perfect recipe for a Chinese New Year par-tay.
We made it a family affair - four families total. Homemade steamed buns, potstickers, spring rolls, 3 stir-fry dishes and chow mein. It was a feast. After processing the deliciousness, we opted for a Weird Chinese Food/Fear Factor Style Taste testing game for the kids. In short, we gave each kid a cup with a lesser-known/eaten Asian food beginning with the least weird and then graduated to more weird foods. Whoever could not eat the food within the allotted time was eliminated from the competition. I kept it pretty tame: no fish balls or stinky tofu this year. But considering that 6 kids were still remaining after five rounds (and we only got one kid to cry- Boo!), I think I'm going to have to up the ante next year.
Here are a few pictures (the video is much better, but those don't show up in blog books):
Add a little Mah Jong for the adults at the tail end and it was time to call it a night. Til' next year...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment