Almost two months ago, I experienced my first miscarriage ever. Kind of a bummer, but that's not really what I want to blog about. Although, as with anything one experiences in life, there were lessons learned and increased gratitude for the fact that I had not had one up to this point. I had a follow-up appointment with my OB a week or so after my miscarriage for good measure and just got the bill in the mail today for services rendered. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how much they charged me for a urine pregnancy test? 18 dollars. Pretty sure you can't find even the most souped up, registers an accurate result 10 days before an expected period, barely has to make contact with the urine stream, plays music for a positive result home pregnancy test for that price. I've seen the little sticks they dip in a cup. I order the exact same things in bulk at 50 cents a pop. I'm sure my doctor gets them for less than that.
There are plenty of things wrong with our health care system. It's worthy of an entire blog post(or ten). Today, though, since the last time I spent any time at an OB's office was exactly four years ago, it's a bit of a clue to me that the dramatic rise in my OB bill(same services rendered last time cost half as much) might have a little something to do with the current administration. I'm not saying Obama single-handedly upped my health care costs, only that government (and insurance companies, incidentally) subsidizing health care is ineffective and has historically resulted in increased costs to the average person. Affordable Health Care Act? For whom?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe how much medical stuff costs. Do you know how much my hospital bill was for having Ellie in San Francisco almost 10 years ago? 40,000. That is a normal spontaneous vaginal delivery with 2 standard nights in the hospital. My room was 5,000 a night and hers was 2,000. Interesting since she was IN MY ROOM the entire time. I was SO bugged, but I had great insurance and only paid like $10. But what about the folks with no insurance? It's ridiculous and Obama's fingers in the pie is making it worse, not better.
Post a Comment