Today as I mentioned to my kids the possibility of going to see Frozen at the theater, their reaction warmed my heart, and sort of reminded me of that scene in the old film version of Annie(the one with Carol Burnett) where Daddy Warbucks takes Annie to the movies, they get all dressed up, she is bursting with excitement, everyone's singing and dancing and bending over backwards to serve little orphan Annie...it just oozes with glamour.
You see, we hardly ever go to the movies. Sure, we hit up an occasional dollar theater movie during the summer. Redbox is a real treat at our house. Usually we check out movies from the library(obviously long after most everyone has seen and memorized them), set up our projector and watch them on the "big screen" at home. And yes, I do realize that owning a projector is a bit of a splurge (though still quit a bit cheaper than a flat-screen TV, to keep it real).
But, the point I am making is that my kids are apparently as deprived as little orphan Annie, so much so, that they furiously cleaned up Christmas for me(and their rooms) when they learned of the possibility of going to see a brand new movie(shhh... don't tell them it came out a month ago) in a fancy theater. It made my heart swell with pride to see their gleeful little faces and utter shock when I presented the idea.
Ahh, isn't deprivation a lovely thing?
I even snuck in a bag of popcorn, a box of Skittles and three drinks for us all to share(Thank you Jill for the extra purse space!). For the price we paid just to get in there, no way was I going to fork out more cash for junk food. And I even instructed my kids to look for signs indicating we couldn't bring in outside food. We didn't see any. (Although I'm pretty sure none of us was looking very hard.)
BTW, Frozen = Fantastic. Even better that I was there with my sister - it was only too appropriate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I seldom go to new release movies either Susie, but FROZEN was worth it! And I loved your comment about seeing it with Jill - so sweet. I also liked that the sister relationship was given more attention that the romantic love relationship. Perhaps there's still hope for Hollywood!
Post a Comment