Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Piano Guys.

Tim and I like to schedule one-on-one time with each of the kids on a regular basis.  Regular, as in, twice a year.  Although I truly value spontaneous interactions with my children, I am a firm believer in "putting things on the schedule" because it means that they are guaranteed to get that "me" time and it's not sporadic or haphazard or unequal (although I also believe that fairness is not an ideal we should strive for in parenthood, as kids have vastly different needs).  I even have a spreadsheet to track our "dates" with the children.  It's delicious.

I bought tickets for Anna and me to go to see the Piano Guys.  Anna had been introduced to them via her school orchestra teacher (hence, her insistence at playing the cello, even though it carried a much heftier price tag than, say, the flute).  She was pretty stoked, even though we had to hoof it up three flights of stairs to the balcony, where she remarked, "Oh, why couldn't we get tickets down there?" (gesturing to the floor seats) Her disappointment at the nosebleed seats was extinguished within minutes of the Piano Guys' appearance onstage.  They were funny, the music was inspiring, and I had a 10-year old commentator whispering - no, yelling into my ear the whole time about how awesome it was.  She couldn't stop saying thank you.  The concert was fantastic - the brownie points scored and quality time with my daughter were priceless.

At home before leaving.


Our own little selfie, which she insisted I post on Facebook.  I didn't.

No comments: