To be sure, it's not as if we were living high on the hog in the first place. I mean, the fact that we are in a position to pay off a mortgage at our age is evidence of our frugality(and a consistent salary-thank you Tim!). Still, as we started tracking our spending more carefully, we noticed just how comfortable we had become with not sticking to the shopping list at Target(dangerous place, I tell you), falling back on eating out when I had a wringer of a day, and paying for our entertainment rather than enjoying the many free things Boise has to offer.
Instead of the old-fashioned spreadsheet we'd been using to track our spending for years (a method which was so laborious we sort of abandoned it a few years ago anyway), we invested in a budget software that includes apps on our cell phones(and other devices) which allows us to enter in amounts on receipts real-time and bills we've paid automatically. I can see how much we've got left in our grocery budget while I'm at the store and can modify my spending accordingly. It's awesome, even for an already budget-conscious person as myself.
The three categories we've cut back significantly are: travel, kids activities (gymnastics, swimming lessons, etc.), and entertainment/eating out. As always, I expect we'll enjoy far more benefits than the ones seen in our bank accounts. Healthier eating, more quality time together as a family enjoying simple pleasures, and plenty of time "roughing it" together in the wilderness instead of waiting in lines at Disneyland. That is, if I can get past my irrational fear of bears.
Instead of the old-fashioned spreadsheet we'd been using to track our spending for years (a method which was so laborious we sort of abandoned it a few years ago anyway), we invested in a budget software that includes apps on our cell phones(and other devices) which allows us to enter in amounts on receipts real-time and bills we've paid automatically. I can see how much we've got left in our grocery budget while I'm at the store and can modify my spending accordingly. It's awesome, even for an already budget-conscious person as myself.
The three categories we've cut back significantly are: travel, kids activities (gymnastics, swimming lessons, etc.), and entertainment/eating out. As always, I expect we'll enjoy far more benefits than the ones seen in our bank accounts. Healthier eating, more quality time together as a family enjoying simple pleasures, and plenty of time "roughing it" together in the wilderness instead of waiting in lines at Disneyland. That is, if I can get past my irrational fear of bears.
2 comments:
Are you using YNAB? I love it!
Kudos to you for the choices you're making. Not many people follow your example nowadays.
Yes! It is the best!
Post a Comment