Sunday, August 12, 2007

The all-natural way to speed up the aging process.

Last night I went to bed at 9:00 p.m. and woke up this morning at 7:00 a.m. I then went back to bed at about 7:45 a.m. and was woken up at 8:30 to feed Rachel. I went back to sleep almost immediately and slept until 10:15 a.m! If you're doing the math, this means I got a total of 12 1/2 hours of sleep. You might be thinking... what a lazy mom! Let me give you a little perspective.

Friday night we went camping. Lot's of fun. I'll post pictures soon. I don't think any parent expects to get any amount of sleep under those circumstances. I'm pretty sure I got around 3-4 hours total. Add that to the 365 days straight where I have not had a single uninterrupted night's sleep and it makes for a pretty exhausted Susie.

When I was a missionary, perhaps my biggest trial was the sleep deprivation. Sure, the rules say lights out at 10:30 and wake up at 6:30, but who REALLY gets 8 hours of sleep out of that. Long story short, I slept for about 2 weeks after getting back home to make up for the loss of sleep in that 18 months. I wonder how long it will take me to recover from all the years of motherhood I have ahead of me...

There's a girl I go to church with who is approximately my age (30) but many people have commented that she looks like a teenager. (Note: she has one child who sleeps through the night) I don't recall anyone ever saying I look younger than my age. I guess I can chalk it up to the fact that I am a mother. And I can't think of a better reason to speed up the aging process than that.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey Susie! You're blogging! Yay! And you seriously only look sixteen! Actually, I am with you on the sleep deprivation. I must confess though that lately its been my own fault. Sawyer actually sleeps through the night but I make bad choices like staying up until 2:30 to read. Not smart at all.

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Wahoo! I am so glad that you have a blog. I am also a newbie to blogs and seem to be one of the least technically savy people in the world! However, it has been a fun way to keep in contact with people. I am glad that you have joined the ranks!
It is good to hear the realities to motherhood. I am on my way to being able to sympathize. I think that these last three weeks of pregnancy are going to kill me. It is unfair that we have to start the process of motherhood tired, uncomfortable, and grumpy. It would be nice to go into it feeling refreshed. OH WELL!