A few days before Christmas, the two older girls and I tackled the most challenging of all the Christmas crafts we had lined up for the season. Clay snowman ornaments. The girls had a blast adding plenty of their own creativity to my careful instructions and they actually turned out (though I was too stupid to get a picture) quite cute. I asked them if they wanted to give them to someone as a gift or add them to their growing collection of homemade ornaments. They both decided that such a masterpiece was too precious to give away - no surprises there, the Christmas season this year was unfortunately all about the big M.E.
So you can imagine my surprise after Grandma and Grandpa arrived and presents magically began appearing under the tree, Anna found her inspiration and decided that it wasn't fair that most of the presents were, indeed, labeled for her and her sisters. She quickly grabbed the prized snowman ornament off the tree, dug out a way-too-big box from the storage room, and scurried upstairs to wrap it. She selected only the best wrapping paper and, in spite of a bit of frustration that she grossly underestimated how large a sheet of paper was required to cover the box's surface, emerged from my bedroom, beaming with joy, carrying a package wrapped with the utmost love and selflessness.
She finally got it. After several FHE lessons, a few small service projects and countless gentle reminders about the true meaning of Christmas - she found her inspiration in a way that I could not have created for her. It was a moment to be remembered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
And Grandpa and I were the blessed and grateful recipients of her creation. It was a very sweet moment which I hope touched her as much as it did us. You can tell Anna that I put her name on the back of the ornament so when Dad and I kick the bucket she can have it back.
That's sweet. What a sweet girl to do that.
Those types of gifts are priceless. Such a cute story! It's a good reflection of your teachings as her mom and what a sweet little girl you have. I guess even though it never feels like it...they do listen???
ah. how sweet! such a nice memory to have!
Post a Comment