Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Off the record.


Sometimes I'll construct a post and then decide not to publish it. Either it's too personal, or might offend, or the writing is just plain horrid (though that doesn't stop me as often as it should). I've actually written several times in the past few weeks, just to capture our transition from 3 to 4 children on paper. And then I'll read over it all and realize that I've just been indulging in an enormous self-pity fest. I'm careful enough to avoid portraying myself as an inherently negative person (at least most of the time). And yet, its been good therapy. And maybe, someday I will read over these unpublished posts and thank the Lord that I survived it all.

That being said, I haven't recorded much about Eve, having been consumed by the torture of getting her to eat for her first few weeks. And even though newborns don't display a huge level of personality, I thought I'd record a few tidbits. First, she has a remarkably strong neck and legs. I say this hesitantly, because I don't exactly have an accurate perception of what is normal at this age. Her sisters were pretty much little blobs for what seemed like forever. Lily didn't even put weight on her legs for months when you'd hold her on your lap. Eve rolls easily from side to side and prefers standing, but I can still get in a good snuggle when I hold her (she gets that from her dad). The girls absolutely adore her and are constantly asking to hold and kiss her - her head is often covered with crumbs from dinnertime and she spends much of her day being awoken by such "hugs" and "kisses". She's beginning to grace us with a few smiles (while she's awake, that is, smiles while asleep are pretty common). Not enough for a photo op, mind you, but they are a welcome event to a mom whose been wondering if all the work is ever going to pay off. We love her and are so thrilled to add her to our group of "little women".

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Susie, Eve is darling and precious. She's really grown and changed just in the short time since I left! She looks so much like a little Egbert! I miss her -I miss ALL of you. Thank heaven for things like baby blessings, which give us a wonderful excuse to make a trip up to see you. Can't wait!

Annie said...

She is so beautiful! What perfect eyes! I can't believe she is so strong already! I am always amazed to see what time you post. I hope you are managing to get in some naps girl! I wish I was closer so I could be of some help to you. Let me know if there is anything that can be done from distance. xoxo.

Steph said...

Wow, Susie, she is just gorgeous! Those eyes are beautiful! You're a great mom!

Topsy said...

You naughty girl. I'm sad you saved the pity fest for the drafts folder, or the half badly written posts. That is my whole blog. Supposed to be a journal right. Somedays are just a pity fest and they usually happen to string in a row!

Ralina said...

Beautiful picture. She's precious.

Valerie said...

OK, so I'm looking at Eve yet again, and I realize that it was ME holding her in that picture. Tim took the picture you posted, but I think I was taking her picture, at the same time, with my free hand - at least I have one very similar. So I guess she hasnt' changed or grown all that much... Nonetheless, she's still straight out of the Egbert infant mold, and she's beautiful!