I'm a week late. Before Eve was born, we found out that Anna's elementary school would be putting on the children's theatre production, Pinocchio. I asked Anna if she would like to audition and, having seen our neighbor participate in something similar last year, she replied with an enthusiastic, "Yes!"
Long story short, representatives from the Missoula Children's Theatre hosted auditions on Monday, began rehearsing that night and throughout the week, culminating in two performances that Saturday. It's quite a production.
Anna came home from the audition Monday announcing that she had been cast as a baby doll. I responded with the utmost excitement (of course, not knowing exactly what being a baby doll entailed) and gave her a hug of congratulations. At which point, her face crumpled and she burst into tears, expressing that she didn't want to be a baby doll. After asking her why, she said that her friend Lilly was a ballerina and that she wanted to be a ballerina too. Still crying, she told me she didn't want to be in Pinocchio.
I let her cry and showered her with sympathy and saved the lecture for dinnertime, when she relayed the same story to Tim. I shared my own performing experiences, where I was never cast as the part I had hoped for. She said, "But Mom, you got to be Rapunzel!" I responded, "Yes, but I really wanted to be Cinderella!" Then we talked about how even when you don't get the part you're pining for, you should still give it your best and you'll learn a lot and have lots of fun. Remarkably, she took it to heart and showed up for rehearsal on Wednesday... and Thursday, and Friday, and Saturday.
I've never seen Anna so excited about anything. She cast away her usual shyness and spoke her lines with poise and volume. I was very proud of my little girl's first official performance. I even bought her tulips. She provided the bright spot in a week otherwise filled with anguish. Here's a couple shots:
Long story short, representatives from the Missoula Children's Theatre hosted auditions on Monday, began rehearsing that night and throughout the week, culminating in two performances that Saturday. It's quite a production.
Anna came home from the audition Monday announcing that she had been cast as a baby doll. I responded with the utmost excitement (of course, not knowing exactly what being a baby doll entailed) and gave her a hug of congratulations. At which point, her face crumpled and she burst into tears, expressing that she didn't want to be a baby doll. After asking her why, she said that her friend Lilly was a ballerina and that she wanted to be a ballerina too. Still crying, she told me she didn't want to be in Pinocchio.
I let her cry and showered her with sympathy and saved the lecture for dinnertime, when she relayed the same story to Tim. I shared my own performing experiences, where I was never cast as the part I had hoped for. She said, "But Mom, you got to be Rapunzel!" I responded, "Yes, but I really wanted to be Cinderella!" Then we talked about how even when you don't get the part you're pining for, you should still give it your best and you'll learn a lot and have lots of fun. Remarkably, she took it to heart and showed up for rehearsal on Wednesday... and Thursday, and Friday, and Saturday.
I've never seen Anna so excited about anything. She cast away her usual shyness and spoke her lines with poise and volume. I was very proud of my little girl's first official performance. I even bought her tulips. She provided the bright spot in a week otherwise filled with anguish. Here's a couple shots:
4 comments:
I wish I could have been there to see her perform. The pictures are precious.
That's awesome. Congrats to Anna for being in the play, that's so cute.
"ma-ma!" She was perfect!!!
That was a fun week. I'm glad it's over. Anna was a beautiful baby doll.
Post a Comment