Sunday, November 28, 2010

Apple pie on the menu.

When I was in college, I had a goal to give any guy who asked me out (as long as he wasn't an obvious creep, that is) one chance. I figured I owed him at least that before writing the possibility of "us" off completely. One date to see if we had anything worth pursuing. Turns out my first impressions were seldom inaccurate, though I did encounter a few pleasant surprises where a guy I thought would probably be a total dud was, in fact, the reverse.
A few weeks ago I thought I'd give preserving my own apple pie filling a whirl. I was rather optimistic. Falsely optimistic. Two jars broke, six others didn't seal up properly, my kitchen was a total wreck, and now I'll be consuming apple crisp for breakfast, lunch and dinner until I use up those unsealed rascals. Four hours of slaving over what turned out to be only eight successful jars of apple pie filling - total waste of time. At least in college, I had 3-4 fours to spare to discover that a guy was, indeed not my soulmate. But now? Four hours is precious. Apple pie filling and I are not meant to be together.
The next prospect? Applesauce. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Karen Caldwell said...

Isn't that frustrating?!? I made apple pie filling a couple of years ago and it worked but we haven't eaten any of them. I'd make pie but my family won't eat it. I'm the only one who will eat it and when I say eat it I mean it...the whole thing by myself. So they're tucked safely away on my shelf...still

Valerie said...

I hear that applesauce is no picnic either so I DO wish you luck. I know your time is precious so I hope it goes smoothly and successfully!

Cherish said...

I have had fun reading your last few posts. I've missed you. :) From apples to gratitude...It's always fun to read what's going on in your "world".

Oh, and good luck with the applesauce. ;)

Stace said...

I wish I had some helpful advice, but I am not the girl for that! Good luck with the applesauce, though. Happy birthday to Rachel! You are right on with your descriptions of her -- such a smartie and cutie, too.

PS. Are you teaching this Sunday? I always enjoy your lessons (no pressure! he he he)

Carmen said...

Good luck, I am SO impressed with your domesticity! I cannot imagine ever having the patience for such a thing, but I guess having four kids teaches you a thing or two about patience doesn't it? I don't know if I remember you really giving any guy you didn't want to go out with a chance, maybe that was during your earlier college years, haha! Good thing you knew the time with Tim would be well spent. I miss you guys and love blogs and being able to keep up on your beautiful family and life. Your girls are all so adorable, just like their mom.

Angie said...

You have such a cute family. It was fun to read a little of your blog and catch up on your life.