Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Family.

This afternoon we stopped at the fruit stand on the way home from Anna's school. After we all spilled out of the minivan, the sales clerk quickly observed: "So, you've only got four girls?" Yep. Only four.

They helped me pick out a basketful of fruit and veggies and, in the course of their running around, Rachel tripped and skinned her knee pretty badly on the pavement, sending her into a fit of outrageous screams (what else would you expect?). I left my produce on the counter for a moment to resolve the situation and was aided by Anna, who pulled out the first aid kit and grabbed a couple of band-aids for me to apply.

Meanwhile, Lily ushered Eve into her seat and buckled her in without being asked. After making sure everyone was situated I paid for my food and returned to the car, grateful for the way in which my girls helped smooth over a potentially chaotic situation, the seamless manner in which they acted selflessly instead of complaining about how loud Rachel was without lifting a finger to help. (And, believe me, we've had moments where that may have been the case.) On the drive home, I thought of the beauty of the family unit and the potential we have for becoming Christlike therein. I was reminded of the following quote I read in a recent Ensign article:

The family by its very nature is an institution based upon righteous self-denial and sacrifice. It is not an individualistic or self-centered organization, but a highly cooperative and other-centered institution. Successful families require that men and women make substantial and long-term sacrifices of their time, money, and personal fulfillment in order to dedicate their efforts to rearing the next generation. Selfishness in any form or degree weakens the bonds that hold families together. The rise of selfishness in our society is the fundamental underlying trend that undermines families and makes successful marriages so difficult. Many today find it irrational to devote so much time and energy to the welfare of the next generation, but if this commitment is not deeply rooted in society, civilization will decline and perish, while children grow up in a moral wasteland, confused, unguided, and unloved.

Moreover, the sacrifices that fathers and mothers make for their children ultimately will result in the greatest possible happiness for those making the sacrifices. In all of human experience, there are no joys more tender, no love more sweet, no fulfillment higher than that found in the family. Those who honor the calling of righteous parenthood will find their souls refined, their hearts purified, and their minds enlightened by the most important lessons of life. They will rise to far greater heights of happiness than those who engage in the narrow and ultimately unsatisfying pursuit of self.


This is so true. I find immense joy in my family - and it is proportional to the amount of sacrifice I make. How reassuring it is to find that my children are directly impacted by the love that Tim and I give them, and that they are learning to impart of their love to one another. A bit of heaven, if you ask me.

3 comments:

Cherish said...

Love this post! I agree 100%. (most days) ;)

Polliwog said...

Beautiful post, beautiful quote. Thanks for the boost! :)

Joe and Joanne said...

Well written, and I love the quote!

I was single for longer than most (though that ratio is closing in I'm afraid as the singles population continues to grow...) and though the reasons for singlehood were certainly varied and though this doesn't necessarily apply to all singles; selfishness was the ever-present element. Family does demand more selflessness and sacrifice, but it also gives more satisfaction and greatest of all - more joy.

Thanks for sharing!