Sunday, June 5, 2011

Summer!

Notice the explanation point. I love summer. The sun, the heat, the garden, the pool, the hours and hours of playtime. There's just so much to love. And mostly, I LOVE having my kids home. The kids begged for a repeat of last summer's month of homeschooling so this summer we're doing it all summer long (though only on a three day per week schedule). We're studying the Oregon Trail (in preparation for our drive to the coast this summer), four famous artists, planes, weather, volcanoes, and of course, reading, writing and 'rithmetic. Lily loves learning so much she's already eaten into 31 pages of the 1st grade math book I bought for her.

Our first art project of the season was decorating individual library/Bookmobile bags. I'm tired of lugging around 50 pounds of dead weight every time we go.
Here are the girls concentrating ultra-hard on their artwork.





I also plan on teaching them a bit of hand sewing from this book my friend mentioned on her blog. We've already learned to thread a needle, tie a knot, do a running stitch and whipstitch, and sew on a button.

Add to that the multiple trips to the park and pool, the daily deal coupons to fun places around town I have yet to use, and the hours my kids spend exploring in nature (aka: the weeds behind our property) and it makes for one terrific summer. Or, at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

And now, to end this post rather randomly, may I quote Rachel's reaction to her first sip of grape soda on Friday night:
"Yum. This tastes like medicine!"

2 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

LOL. I love it! Grape soda does taste like medicine - I have to agree with her on that one.

That's a great curriculum you've got for the summer. Wish I could be there to join in on the fun!

Polliwog said...

We are like-minded, my friend. I love summer too. Luckily I made it home from Hawaii just in time for the fun to begin! :)