Lily earned a free ticket to the local water park through a school reading program earlier this year. We redeemed it this past week. That, combined with another free ticket we scored off a generous neighbor and a discount for going at a certain time and day of the week made our first trip there in four years a reasonably affordable occasion. Due to a park policy that allows no outside food or drink (except water), we decided to purchase dinner on the cheap and sip our 90 degree (did I mention it was blazing hot that day?) water so we could maximize the five hours we spent there without any starving kid meltdowns. I bought two slices of pizza. We split them in half, one for each child. The kids asked why Dad and I weren't eating. I responded that the food was so expensive that we would rather wait until we got home. They seemed to appreciate their slice all the more and refrained from asking for a frozen lemonade or ice cream cone to boot.
We had a blast at the water park - the kids expressed their gratitude profusely and failed to complain even once that the lines were as long as the Great Wall of China. They were simply glad to be there. It taught me a great lesson. When kids are accustomed to ordinary fun, and not indulged in various whims and fancies, they tend to appreciate the extraordinary as just that. Extraordinary. It's not as if we can't afford to indulge our kids in a visit to the water park, paying full price and purchasing an entire meal for everyone. But why should we?
It's not always easy for us to teach our kids that even if you can afford something, it doesn't mean you have to buy it. Sometimes I get passed off as a mean mom (and it hurts my feelings, but not really) - but every once in a while, when my children gratefully eat their half slice of pizza and gush all the way home about how much fun they had at the water park, I'm reminded that it's the right thing to do after all. And that makes me happy. The End.
P.S. I personally think that rural farm life would be an ideal environment for eliminating the gimme's in children. But farm animals stink. That, and I married an electrical engineer. I guess depriving my children of an entire slice of pizza at the water park is a close second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's not easy doing what you think is the right thing for your kids, especially when so many others around you see and do it differently. Good for you - I'm glad that the day was so fun and the girls were so appreciative. Remember this day and refer back to it for courage in the future!
See- totally grounded and uplifting. This is exactly what I need- thanks for sharing your blog!
I love it! You have a great perspective. We go to R.S. once a year because my sister gets tickets through her job. We pack a great lunch, keep it in the cooler in the car, and go find some grass to lay our a blanket and eat on a median in the parking lot mid-day. It's really quite fun! I think you are fantastic Suzi!
Sorry Susie, I really do know how to spell your name. ha ha!
Post a Comment