It's been one of those weeks. Yes, I realize we're only on Tuesday but I'm finding myself counting down the hours until school starts. I'm not usually that mom. Yes, I have my fair share of exasperating days. But I typically feel that summer couldn't possibly be over and usually resign myself to sending my kids out the door to meet the challenges of a new school year. I want them home with me. Not today. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. It's a glass is half-empty sort of day.
This morning when I was at the end of my rope (and it was only 10 o'clock!) I said a quick prayer, begging for the strength to refrain from beating my children. And I'm happy to report there are no suspicious bruises at our house. So here's the wisdom I gained as I composed myself.
One, I am a results-driven person. If something needs fixin' I get on the ball and take care of it. Except that kids don't really need fixin'. They need loving guidance. They need to slow-cook for a while on all the knowledge I impart to them before becoming the obedient, selfless, responsible (etc., etc.,) children I hope they can become. I've got to get over the here-and-now and focus on the long-term.
Second, because I am results-driven, I tend to nag. I like to think of my nagging as gentle reminders. You see, I really want them to succeed! If their rooms aren't cleaned to a "t" they won't get a magnet on their chart! And I'll have to deny them a privilege! In reality, I need to let the consequences speak for themselves and keep my big fat mouth shut. I have a feeling this won't be the last time I have to learn this lesson, sadly.
Anyway, I don't post this to be self-deprecating. I know I'm a good mom. I do a lot of things right. But each of us has some serious deficiencies in our parenting and these just happen to be a couple of mine. And it doesn't hurt to be able to read over a record of some of my failures so that I can measure my progress. And remember that bad days can be overcome. But only when school starts. (Kidding! I'm kidding.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
School. Blessed school. I am with you on this one!! :)
Post a Comment