Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A new day.

Today I received word that no longer will my services as second counselor in the Relief Society be needed. Apparently, honing my piano skills these past few months has paid off and I have been asked to serve as Primary Pianist. The bishop almost laughed out loud when I told him it was my dream calling. I think he expected a gloomier reaction - I mean leadership in the women's organization does seem a bit more glamourous than hiding behind a piano in a roomful of antsy children. But, seriously. I'm thrilled!

True, I have grown spiritually these past two years in a way that only a calling that stretched me could have prompted. Lessons learned that can only come through service in the kingdom. I am so grateful for that. Sacrifice brings SO many blessings. The word "rewarding" doesn't even touch what my experience has been.

And yet, this heavy-duty calling became mine when Eve was a mere 8 months old - I think I was on the brink of feeling normal again - whatever normal is possible with four kids six and under. I was willing. But scared. And it's been hard. I can't even list all the things that have been shelved because of the hours I have dedicated to carrying out my responsibilities. And I would be lying if I said I didn't walk out of the bishop's office emitting the hugest sigh of relief ever. In my life. And running over in my mind all the things I would now be able to do now that I have freed up loads of time in my schedule. Like cleaning baseboards. What joy! What bliss!

Or playing on the floor with my baby (now two and a half) to do a puzzle. Or two. Or three.
If I wanted to get really wild and crazy, I might even watch a smidgen of American Idol. Is that show still on? I haven't watched TV in two years. Seriously.

In all reality - I feel like I just got a raise. And just as when one gets a raise, he should figure out what to do with the increase in funds so it doesn't get spent away unnoticed, I want to harness those extra hours I will now have and allocate them to fulfilling purposes. Otherwise, I will just end up watching some stupid show(s) on the tube without which I could live out my days in complete satisfaction.

5 comments:

Steph said...

That's an amazing calling! I love filling in, and I'd love to do it regularly. I've been the chorister a lot, but now I just cry as the kids sing, so pianist is awesome!! Enjoy!!

Lindsay said...

Primary pianist was my favorite calling until I actually had it. I thought it would be so wonderful to have something that demanded very little of me. In reality, I was bored. I hope you really do love it. And enjoy those extra hours. I am sure you will fill them up without much effort.

Tracy said...

Susie - I am thrilled to have you on the piano. I am thrilled we get to work together! I will do my best to do whatever it takes to be sure you are not bored. I try to emphasize to the children that singing time would be a night and day experience without a pianist such as yourself. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. We will all feel it in primary - I promise!

Karen Caldwell said...

That's my dream calling too. Enjoy!

Joe and Joanne said...

Very well put. That's exactly how I felt when I was (finally) released as RS President. It's rewarding to serve in that organization, but extremely taxing. In some respects I don't even think I'm quite recovered from the *taxing* portion yet (and it's been 1.5 years since it happened!). But, since the blessings outweighted the burden - at the end of the day gratitude is all that can really be felt. I keep telling Joe God put me through that experience so that I'd be able to sympathize with him one day when he's made Bishop. ;)

Congrats on your new calling! :)