Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The final wind-down.

Otherwise known as the abrupt end to summer. Can it really be over? It's been a good, but, as always, too short summer. For family home evening last night we enjoyed our tradition of making a list of things (on index cards, to be taped to an unused wall) that we were grateful to do this summer and it was amazing how quickly the ideas flowed! Here are a few(but not all) of our August adventures:
1. We found out that the cat has an owner. And that she was actually a "he". My only hope is that we can find another one that can stand to be buried in kitty litter(by Eve), can tolerate a human tilt-a-whirl (Rachel), and can mutilate mice and leave them on our doorstep. Thanks for the memories, Lera. Er, I mean Rascal.

2. We studied Picasso, Degas and Warhol. Art lessons are a hit.



3. We began harvesting tomatoes. I bought some more at the fruit stand and canned 12 jars of salsa.

4. We hit up "the beach" for Tim's work party. The girls love it there. Goose poop and all.


(I love this picture on so many levels, from the twisted swimsuit strap, to the smushed-down eyes to the superfluous goggles...)





5. My mom brought some other cousins up for a visit. I would like to shout it from the rooftops that I braved our neighborhood swimming pool with 6 children (only 3 of which are reasonably confident swimmers - no lifeguards - this is a BIG deal). Among other things, we hiked the hill at Camel's Back Park. A short jaunt, but not for sissies.

At the bottom:


On the way up:





At the top:



Looking down and Grandma and Livvy, who took another route.



6. And last, but not least we spent many hours doing this:



Ah, I will miss you, summer!

2 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

I can't believe summer is over either! Yikes! I lose track of it being childless and just working - but it seems like yesterday you posted about all the fun projects you had lined up for summer.
I love the photos and that's so funny about the cat! Do I sense a hint that you are planning to brave the pet store for a cat of your own or is that just my imagination? ;)

Topsy said...

that makes me miss SUZIE! More pictures of SUZIE! :)