I had a conversation just after the start of school with a few friends about which is more enjoyable, parenting older children/teenagers or parenting young children. In contrast to my friends, I chose young children. I can't be entirely sure what has led to my adoration of preschoolers, after all, I was not the teenage girl who, at church, begged the moms in my ward to let me babysit their little'uns. Somehow, these 9 1/2 years of parenting has bred in me a love for all things toddler. I think it may have something to do with Joy School.
My mom did Joy School with my younger sister while I was a teenager. Even though I was typically self-absorbed at the time, I remember clearly the Joy School theme song, I've Got Joy. This family-centeredness motivated me to rope a few moms into teaching our kids preschool when Anna was just three. I've been doing it ever since. Miraculously, I manage to find 4-5 other moms willing to do fingerplays, make messy art projects, sing silly songs, and play with puppets for an entire year. In all honestly, the first few years were rough. I like to think that the kids in that group were rotten, but I'm sure the fact that I was not a seasoned preschool teacher had more to do with it. Still, I stuck with it and my confidence in teaching children has grown leaps and bounds.
Toddlers/preschoolers are the most adorable things. I love their boundless energy, the way every step has a bounce to it. They say the darnedest things. They absorb everything. They are so innocent it makes them easy to love, even when they are throwing a tantrum over the fact that their hot dog bun broke apart. I mean, you can't help but giggle inside while you envelope them in your arms over the tragedy. So stinkin' easy to love. I just might keep teaching Joy School long after all my kids have graduated onto elementary.
Eh. Maybe not.
I mean, look at those faces. Just look at them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment