Some people never outgrow the excitement of Christmas morning. I was always one to wake up in the middle of the night, tiptoe downstairs (or up, as the case sometimes was) to check out the loot, then tiptoe back to bed until it was safe to wake everyone up. I shared this tradition with any number of my siblings who was up for it.
Okay, I don't do that anymore. And I'll admit, I get a bit grouchy throughout the season at the materialism that pervades what is meant to be a Christ-centered holiday. But I still find myself harking back to the days of my youth to capture what my kids must feel as Christmas morning approaches. And I love watching them take in each and every gift as we force them all to watch one another open presents one by one. Their excitement for each other is contagious.
Handmade gifts from kindergarteners are simply the best.
We got a kick out of Tim accidentally opening a present intended for Rachel from her kindergarten teacher. He at least pretended to be excited about it.
The girls couldn't contain their excitement when Grandma and Grandpa spoiled them with American Girl dolls. I had pretty much told them they would never own one unless they saved their pennies and bought one themselves.
Eve was thrilled to add a "baby" to the family.
Perfect gift from Rachel's primary teacher.
We took our time, offered thanks for the abundance with which the Lord has blessed us, snacked all day long in our pajamas, and packed for a trip to visit my family the next day. Merry Christmas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment