Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dear diary.

I write my posts in first person.  That makes sense.  And many of my posts flow much like a letter, as if I'm talking to someone (or a vast audience, in some cases).  Maybe that makes less sense.  Yes, this is my journal, so, in some ways writing to an audience makes me feel as though my thoughts have voice, they have purpose, and may appear more personal when my posterity gets their hands on it.  But I'm also talking to you.  That's right, you, whoever the heck out there reads my blog.  In many ways when I sit down to write, I feel an obligation to my family and friends.  Not that you all are hanging on my every word, but since I'm not the best at keeping in touch via text message, email, facebook, I like to imagine that my friends are keeping tabs on me through my blog.  And that makes me feel connected to them somehow.  Even though I don't really even know for sure who reads this thing most of the time. 

I know blogging isn't enjoying the heyday it used to.  I realize that since the frequency of my blog posts is sporadic, at best, I may not be attracting the sort of following I once did.  I recognize that people's lives get busy and that other social networking vehicles serve a more convenient purpose for most.  I also know that things like Google Reader keep us updated on blogs without any obligation to click through and make a comment.  I realize that the busyness of my own life and the mommy brain with which I'm afflicted pretty much excludes me from being capable of producing anything witty, or inspiring, or entertaining.  But I want you to know that I appreciate those out there who read this thing.  And I'm grateful for the occasional comment you leave to remind me that you're there.  Because as much as it is motivating for me to know that this is a record, one I'm writing for posterity, it adds another dimension to know that I'm writing for you, too.  My friends and family.  (And the occasional friend of a friend...or stranger... or stalker).  So thank you!

4 comments:

Cherish said...

I love reading your blog. I soak up every word! I miss you and am excited to see you soon!!!

Jilly Bean said...

Oh Suz, your blog is one of my favorite things about the internet, so thank YOU!

Melissa said...

I read still! I never comment because I usually think I sound so dorky when I write them, but I love keeping up with your family.

Polliwog said...

I've been MIA in the blogging world, but I have sure loved catching up with you this morning!