Thursday, January 24, 2013

Skin in the game.

Anna made s special request during December-one that I truly wanted to grant her.  She hoped to take drawing classes after school.  One teensy weensy problem: I have an unwritten policy that forbids  extracurricular activities exceeding one per person(at a time).  It has more to do with my absurd need to be in complete control of everyone's schedules than it is a cost-cutting measure, but that is certainly a major perk of not over scheduling. In all honesty, I really didn't want to have to pack my younger ones into my car one more time to pick her up from her class(as it was, at the time I was traveling to/from the school at least four, sometimes five times a day...yep, don't ask).  Plus, I'm not in the habit of making wishes come true without encouraging my kids to get some skin in the game.  So I asked Anna to contribute 1/4th of the cost of tuition (a significant amount, given her current earning potential), fully expecting that she would drop the issue and I could keep Wednesday afternoons to myself.  Nah.  She made a beeline for her piggy bank, forked out the cash, and I was forced to comply.

Money talks, you know.  I think it's fine to sign my kids up for activities that I feel are important.  It's my money, after all.  Well, I guess it's sort of Tim's , since he's the only money-earner in the family, but let's not get technical.  My kids, for instance, have to take swimming lessons until they reach a certain level of proficiency (in other words, until I no longer have to worry about them drowning themselves if I turn my back for  a split second at the pool).  I also force them to take piano lessons until I feel they've demonstrated a willingness to practice regularly, but in that case, I'm the teacher so the investment is purely opportunity cost.  Anything else, though, is superfluous, merely for their enjoyment, at which point I think it's fair to check and see just how badly they want it.  This is the first time anyone's ever been so motivated.  Conclusion: I guess Anna likes art.

2 comments:

Cherish said...

I love when my kids find something they are really interested in doing! It's fun to watch them "bloom" into their own.

Chelsea said...

I am taking notes... I hope then that I can remember all of these wonderful things you do that teach your children. Only 4 more months of driving to school all day, not quite sure how you keep it together.