I was a blogger. True story. And then the holidays hit, and a whole host of viruses visited our house that cramped my style in the form of children staying home from school... and church... and all the other places they go so that I can get a break from them.
Before I know it, it's a new year, there are resolutions to be made. Still sitting on that one. And the fact that an entire month has passed since I last recorded a snippet of the memorable events that transpire around here gets to me about, oh a day ago. So I sit down to blog on the only computer in the house on which our photos are stored. And blogger won't upload them. It's enough to send me into full-blown depression, I tell you. Because the bitter cold and lack of vitamin D just weren't enough.
Which brings me here. I've planned an adorable snowflake party for Eve tomorrow morning, but the cupcakes need frosting. My lesson for church can wait. I've got cookies to bake for an activity tomorrow. I haven't read a book for pleasure in 3 months. I've got a mending pile to China that needs tackling. My house is an organizational disaster (which it has been for years, but I could justify that when I was chasing around 4 children under age 6). Nevermind all that. All I want to do is blog. But today's technical difficulties force me to bore you with mere words. Here goes nothing.
I'm occasionally overwhelmed by my children. They're bossy, loud, demanding, mischievous, messy, lazy, contentious and disobedient. Some of the time. The rest of the time they're fun, witty, compassionate, service-oriented, hard-working, problem-solving, and ready to please.
Occasionally I dwell on the former traits. Sometimes, though, I'm keenly aware of the amazing gifts each of my daughter's possesses. Yesterday I watched as Rachel dropped something on the ground at swimming lessons. Another parent picked it up before Rachel could and I watched her look the woman in the eye and say "thank you". Big deal, you say? I spend a lot of time with kids (at school, during playdates, etc.). I know plenty of parents teach their kids to say thank you. But how many really get it? Rachel does. She's barely six and rarely forgets to recognize the effort others exert on her behalf. It is truly remarkable.
The night is wearing on, and I've got a big day tomorrow. I'll get around to gushing about the other girls. Some other time. And maybe, just maybe blogger will let me post pictures of the holidays, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment