Someone (was it you Stacy?) recently suggested the idea of a "done" list, as opposed to a "to do" list and I must say that it has changed my outlook on things. It is definitely my tendency to keep things organized by creating a "to do" list and checking things off so that life doesn't get too crazy. But I find, quite often, actually, that many things don't get crossed off before I have a gazillion other things added to the darned thing. A "to do" list kind of embodies that whole glass is half-empty rather than half-full sort of feeling. Being me, though, I can't quite do away with the whole idea; otherwise, my entire life would just melt into utter chaos, I'm convinced. Rather, I have started making a mental note of all the things I have done in a given day, whether or not it was on the original "to do" list. So here's today's "done" list:
1. Got out of bed.
2. Got the kids fed, dressed, etc.
3. Took Anna to Joy School.
4. Went grocery shopping.
5. Went to my book club.
6. Picked Anna up from Joy School. Came home with an extra child, whose mother had to attend a PTO meeting.
7. Came home and played hide-and-seek with the kids.
8. Fixed lunch for 4 children.
9. Cleaned up lunch, swept the kitchen floor.
10. Watched another mom's child so that she could go to the cannery.
11. Took a half hour nap in between Anna and Lily in my bed. Read my scriptures.
12. Took a shower and got ready for the day (at 3:15!)
13. Woke the kids up, helped them clean up the family room, fed them all a snack.
14. Dropped off neighbor's child and took Anna to dance class.
15. Came home and fixed dinner.
16. Cleaned up from dinner, swept the kitchen floor (can you tell I have an 11 month old?).
17. Dropped off books and DVD's at the Bookmobile.
18. Came home and put Rachel to bed.
19. Had family prayer and scripture study with the older girls.
20. Put the kids to bed.
21. Posted a blog entry.
I don't know that I have much energy left to accomplish anything else, but I sure feel a lot better articulating what I did today, rather than feeling less of a person for only crossing one thing off of my "to do" list. How about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just look at my little Susie all grown up into a full-fledged mother. I'm so proud! ;) Love you Segbert!
Indeed, when I write what I've done on a given day, it helps me to realize that I did accomplish SOMETHING! Congratulations on a good day, Susie.
I LOVE THIS IDEA! Somehow I don't think I would feel as guilty at night for not accomplishing all that I wanted to. You have quite the busy life. Is this what I have to look forward to when #1 grows up and #2 and #3 show up? However, I do have to say that on this particular day, you really had your priorities in line (religion, quality time with kids, service for others, etc.). Way to go Susie!
Post a Comment