Friday, October 5, 2007

Foresight in Fall.



As autumn rolls around, I feel the urge to do away with yard work. After all, Tim and I have spent the last 5 months sprucing up the lawn, weeding, planting, weeding, fertilizing, spraying for bugs, cutting flowers, pruning bushes, weeding, spreading bark, weeding... you get the picture. When the cool weather sets in, I just want to clean my house from top to bottom since I will be spending the next several months quarantined inside of it. Or better yet, I just want to curl up by the fire with my Stephen's hot cocoa and read a good book.

Instead, I try to have a little bit of foresight. When spring rolls around, there's nothing like watching the crocuses come up amidst the last winter snow. Or smelling the hyacinths on a windy March evening. Or enjoying the show of color that tulips provide in April. It's exhilarating to watch my yard blossom, relaxing in the knowledge that most of the work was done months before. So when October hits, I plant bulbs. Lots of them. 334 of them this year, to be exact. And when spring hits and the above tulips surround my flowering plum tree in the back yard, I will be thanking my lucky stars. Ooh, I can't wait till spring.

2 comments:

Topsy said...

I love that you do that. I always wish that I'd planted something when spring rolls around, but it never occurs to me in the Fall. I was so inspired I almost bought some flowers to surprise whoever lives in our house next spring. However, since we just turned down an offer - it may be us living here next spring. haha.

Malauna said...

334 bulbs! You are ambitious!