Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I should have been a liar.


Oops, I mean, lawyer. I recently pulled off what may have been the best convincing job in my thirty years of manipulating. My four-year-old, after only about 5 minutes of coaxing bought into my story that the devil costume that I bought her on clearance last year is actually a princess costume. After all, it's frilly and catches the wind oh-so-nicely when she spins around. It even has a matching crown(horns) and wand(pitchfork).

Was it lying? Perhaps. But really, how was I to know last year at the post-Halloween clearance sale that she would be so completely focused on the whole princess theme this year? In all practicality, I was not about to go buy a brand new $30-50 costume just to satisfy this year's whim. And as everyone knows, I can't sew one. So I used my power of persuasion to save myself (and Tim) a few bucks. And I won. Doesn't she look pretty?

4 comments:

Malauna said...

Hilarious manipulation. Too bad I gave Becca H. the Sleeping Beauty costume I made for Sabrina at age 3. Anna would've looked great in that. If you didn't want to lie, you could've asked SewHappyStacy for a hand-me-down princess. She's got lots.

Valerie said...

When I saw Anna in her costume last week, I didn't know this story and I wondered why you were calling her pitchfork a wand and her horns a crown. It all seemed a bit odd to me... You're right though, she does look pretty. If your kids are anything like mine though, one of these days she's going to see the pictures or read your blog and you'll pay for this for a long, long time!

Anonymous said...

I think Mom has a point, but I also think you gotta take what you can get for the time being don't you think? Anna looks SOO adorable!

Valerie said...

So - I'm reading my first comment a day later and thinking it sounds pretty negative and I didn't mean for it to be. I actually think you're one smart cookie for shopping the sales! Anna was happy and looked darling, so what else matters?