Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Neverending story.

I can pat myself on the back today. I set a goal to wash, fold, and put away all five loads of laundry yesterday and guess what? I did it! A modern-day miracle.
Maybe you are more competent than I am in the laundry department. Maybe you have set days on which you do laundry and nothing interferes with it. Maybe you don't find yourself fumbling through the dryer for a pair of pants that you haven't worn since last week. Maybe your five-year-old doesn't complain that she can't find a shirt to match her gray corduroys (the only clean pants in her drawer). Maybe, just maybe your husband doesn't have to run downstairs in a towel when he discovers that every last pair of underwear is still sitting (albeit, folded) on the bar in the kitchen.
Maybe, you could send some advice my way...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How about when not only your son, but also your husband only tells you they don't have clean underwear until the morning after they've used their last pair?! As far as advice, pay Anna to do it. I pay Emma a quarter a load. I still have to fold it, but it keeps me going on it throughout the week.

Melissa said...

Laundry is my weakness too. Sorry, no advice to give.

Tracy said...

Susie, my only advice is what works in our house - all laundry is done by your husband! Do you want to punch me right in the face right now? I know. I am so spoiled. My poor husband must have gotten tired of saying "I AM OUT OF WHITES, AGAIN!!!" So, all of a sudden, he was doing all the laundry - washing, drying, folding, everything - without complaining! I know. I know. Go ahead and punch me. :) But it's worth a try?

Topsy said...

Yeah Laundry sucks. So I start laundry on the suckiest day of the week. Seems fitting.

Monday, all the kids bring their baskets to the laundry room and sort their colors - Big guy does it after school. Then I've decided that I never finish during the week and somehow that makes it easier. Whenever I "finished" all the laundry I'd reward myself by ignoring it for oh. . . 2 or 3 weeks. So now I just don't "finish". Monday comes around and we start again.

I run loads all day Monday and part of Tuesday. So the bulk is done those two days. And I've found that if I fold on top of the dryer while standing there I'll actually do it. If I carrying the laundry to the couch, we'll be sitting on it all week. Then I run random loads throughout the week to finish it off. And before the kids get bedtime stories Tuesday night they have to put all their folded piles away. And if they want to watch a movie during the week, fine. But they will be folding laundry or pairing socks. Although I must admit that Baby J does a really crappy job pairing socks.

Cherish said...

Laundry bites!!! It really is neverending. I am not one to give advice cause I am horrible at keeping it caught up. I keep waiting for someone to invent a machine that will fold the laundry once it's dry. In the mean time it's called kids. :)

sew happy Stacy said...

I'm with Nica. I live in my laundry room all day Mon. and everything gets washed, dried, and folded, come heck or high water. Then the kids put away before fhe. Then I don't do any laundry during the week, unless it is peed on. Also nothing else gets done on Mon., but laundry and we don't eat that day either.

Greg said...

You are such a great woman and mother and I am so very proud of you Susie and always have been.

Jessica Waters said...

What we are supposed to stay on top of laundry?? I didn't get the memo. Now my system works as follows. I don't wash laundry until the pile is a few feet shy of the ceiling. Then I wash as I go but don't fold it until it again nearly reaches the ceiling! Very effective and my husband and children love it!! (yeah right) It nice to hear that I am not the only Mama that has not mastered laundry!

Annie said...

UGH! I am not even going to go there! I really shouldn't complain becuase there are only trhee of us! It doesn't help that my laundry room is in the cold and creepy basement! Hauling huge laundry hampers down the stairs is one of my least favorite things to do! I wish we could have somehow put in a hamper. Bummer!