
My oldest daughter has always been curious. In her earliest days that simply translated into figuring out what kind of response she could get from various types of screams. Then she unlocked the key to cosmetics and household products, smearing them across any surface she could find. She later graduated to discovering what would happen if she stuffed items of irregular sizes down the toilet. Fortunately, she challenges her mind now by reading constantly, exploring more constructive activities, and asking lots of questions. Lots of them.
We've already engaged in several conversations about where babies come from. This is a topic I had hoped to save until she was eight years old, a time when dad and I could corral her, take her on a date, and explain it in a way that was well-scripted and designed to help her see how wonderful the whole process is within the right context.
I should have known my Anna would not wait for such a day. Yesterday, she asked me how some people who aren't married can have children. She wanted to know how the egg got fertilized if the man and woman weren't married. I tried to skirt the issue, explaining vaguely that they made some unwise choices that had brought a baby into the world. She was unrelenting, wanting to know the nitty-gritty. I paused after each question, not knowing how to answer honestly without blowing her mind and finally just gave into her curiosity and bore the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I should have been more prepared, but I must have handled it well because she finally seemed satisfied and gave me a big hug and a smile when I remarked that dad and I are so happy to have shared such a loving experience that blessed us with three (almost four) wonderful children.
My favorite part, though: when I told her that sperm is contained in a fluid, she asked me, "Does the fluid fly to fertilize the egg?"
1 comment:
Yikes...I am dreading that talk. I'm glad it turned out to be a positive thing. I need some pointers from you.
And, I won't tell you that more than once I have found my phone and it had been off the hook for alot longer than 4 minutes. Or that once my little 2 year old somehow called 911. Shame on you...you horrible mother ;) What a lame lady to call you back. My guess is she wasn't a mother.
Post a Comment