I figured that if alliteration could get Lily to pee, then it just might get my kids to do chores without complaint. Just maybe. That's when ABC days was born. You see, during the summer, I want to have a couple of days a week where we concentrate on one letter of the alphabet. That way I can kill not just two but many birds with one stone. I can get Lily to practice writing her letters, help my two younger kids practice the sounds each letter makes, complete tasks that might otherwise be undesirable and have plenty of fun while at it.
Last week was spring break so we decided to give it a go. Monday was B-day. We ate breakfast, stripped the beds, washed the blankets, rode bikes, colored butterfly pictures... you get the picture. By the time Friday rolled around we had planted carrots, cleaned the bathroom, gone to Costco, done the dishes, folded clothes and fertilized the flowers all under the guise of ABC days. My kids were none the wiser. Oh, and we had lots of fun, too, rest assured. I think the plan is a go. Now here's the only picture I managed to snag the entire week - the donuts we made on D-day.
.
7 comments:
What a great idea! Hope you are doing well...I think of you often.
I looooove the ABC day idea! This will definitely be put into practice at our house. Eliza won't potty train-(ugh I hate potty training- I think I would rather give birth to quads with no meds then potty train!!!)And Julia doesn't want to learn what she needs to know for kindergarten because "I am just a mom and I don't know what she really needs!", but this might do the trick! Great idea!
OH MY GOSH! I LOVE THIS IDEA! You are fabulous. You should check out http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/
She does some great alphbet crafts and has links to other wonderful blogs (all located on my blog as well). You should write out your ABC "lesson plans" and pass them on!! tee hee!
What a great thing to do. I wish I had that much motivation to do that with my kids. I'm sure it's so fun for them and then you actually get things done without too much complaint hopefully.
I am definitely going to try this. Nice work!
pul-ease! email me the recipe for the donuts. I have to have them they look so yum!
This is the cutest idea. I had a friend that did this with colors to teach her kids. She dedicated one day to each color and they wore, ate, drew, experienced everything in that color. I love the post. It might even give it a try with my kids. If you did write it out I'd love a copy (good idea Annie). Anyways...very cute blog. Oh and those donuts looks good. Do you have a recipe?
Post a Comment