Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Will you still love me?


Mom, will you still love me if I call you "dummyhead" all the way home from swimming lessons? How about if I draw in crayon all over the piano bench? What if I decide that at the age of two I'm too old to take naps? Will you still love me if it takes not once, not twice, not even three but four times of you politely requesting that I clean up my mess before I even acknowledge you, let alone begin to clean it up? Then, if I kick you while you're trying to change my diaper, will you still love me then? Suppose I clock my little sister on the head and then lie about it? What if I say "I'm hungry" and expect you to magically appear with something for me to eat and then pretend I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Oh, I'm sorry, what would you like to do about it"? Even if I steal fruit snacks from the storage room? To top it off, what if I wake up in the middle of the night screaming in terror, disrupting what was already a tumultuous night for you? Will you still love me?

5 comments:

Ralina said...

We sometimes wonder "Why do we have kids". I'm sure they know you will always love them no matter what they do. It will be nice to have our kids "grow up", but I'm sure we will miss them little to.

Lindsay said...

Oh man, there have been plenty of days when I could have written an post just like that. Hang in there! And repeat as necessary: they won't be little forever, they won't be little forever....

Valerie said...

Our sweet little Rachel? I can't believe it, but I do. I wonder if she's reacting to all the change - new sister, so much company in the last couple of weeks, then everybody disappearing. Add to that her two-year-oldness and you've got a recipe for extreme emotion personified. I'd take her for awhile if you'd let her come...

Topsy said...

Girl! I'm glad she's yours! I don't have that much love in my heart! Love the heck outta her!!!!

Susie said...

Actually, this is a composite of all three girls, though Rachel was the culprit in most cases... hopefully that makes my life seem a bit easier, right?