Thursday, March 5, 2009

No pain, no gain.

Time is short, and frankly, using the bathroom comes before blogging. Sleep is in short supply, so inspiration goes as soon as it comes. But, in an effort to record what's been on my mind, let me be brief in listing a few things I've been learning lately.
1. I cannot control everything. Well, duh. I guess that's just one of those things I learn again and again. And again.
2. Service is not just a way of meeting another's needs. It is a manifestation of the love of our Heavenly Father. We are truly His hands. I've felt that love abundantly in recent weeks as I've been the recipient of such service. To those of you who've served me - from the smallest words of comfort to bringing me meals, to inviting all of my kids over to play, thank you. You were the means by which I was reminded how much the Lord loves me, even in the midst of my suffering.
3. The Savior's Atonement is real, and it's personal. In spite of the sweet sympathy rendered to me by those who had gone through similar experiences, I knew that no one could truly relate to mine. Their compassion helped, but I still felt completely alone. Only when we feel forsaken can we catch a glimpse of what the Savior endured. And only then do we realize that He understands as no one else can.
4. It's not a matter of if but when. Bad things will happen to good people. I've spent much of my life fearing certain trials, crossing my fingers that I can skate through life without too much hardship, hoping that my testimony need not be strengthened by such challenges. Reading an article about Joseph Smith's experience in Liberty Jail reminded me that it is a requirement of the faithful to be tested. After all, that's why we're here. What will be asked of us is completely unique to our individual situations, and will mold us in a way that's tailor-made and meaningful to no one but us.
5. Eternal perspective makes all the difference. I spent a few weeks wallowing in self-pity, wondering why I had to endure something that, though trivial to some, was extremely emotional for me. As I passed the temple the other day, I thought to myself, in 20 plus years, when I'm attending Eve's sealing, it's not going to matter what I fed her for her first year. Heck, it doesn't really matter now. Knowing what's truly important and lasting can lend perspective when we're making mountains out of molehills.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Susie, You have beautifully put into words some very valuable lessons learned from your tender experiences of late. They are particular to you, yet the principles expressed apply to all. Some of us aren't as articulate as you, however, so thank you for sharing so openly. It sounds as if you are healing you learn - evidence of the Lord's love.

Tracy said...

That was wonderful, Susie! I love your perspective! Thank you.