Friday, June 5, 2009

A stolen bicycle and lilies for sale.

What do these two have in common? I'll tell you. Last fall Anna helped me plant over a hundred lily bulbs in our backyard. I contemplated helping her sell bouquets as a way to earn extra cash this summer because, truth be told, I don't do lemonade stands. The idea never caught on fully until she discovered her bike was stolen a week ago from the elementary school bike rack. A few days later, we put a flyer together, I emailed a few local friends, and we found ourselves frantically counting all the lilies that are budding, afraid that we might have overextended ourselves. I guess we should have charged more than $2 per dozen blooms? The good news is, she will have a bike in hand before summer is over. (In fact, I found one at a yard sale yesterday and am storing it in my neighbor's garage - hope she likes it. Who cannot love a $20 bike?)
The bad news: my countertops will miss the lilies that have befriended them for the past two years. Sigh. There's always next year.

No comments: