Last weekend we congregated at my parents' house in celebration of their 60th birthdays (the two of them are only 9 days apart, how handy). It was a great excuse to get together. All the siblings except my sister Jill, who's serving a mission in Tennessee were there (and my cousin Leah just happened to be in town, too) so we made a weekend of it. We treated them to a birthday lunch, cake and ice cream, a getaway to Park City for the two of them, and a keepsake DVD with an assortment of pictures from 1975 to present. It was fun and makes me look forward to many more get-togethers with the whole fam damily.
I conveniently had a mission reunion that Friday night as well and, though the turn-out was not outstanding, was so thrilled to see some of my favorite sisters and elders from my time in Taiwan. It was such a life-altering experience for me and I was so happy to see how we've all grown up and taken our committment to the gospel of Jesus Christ and run with it. These are some of my most cherished friends and I'm proud to associate with them. It was a short and intimate gathering, but surely not a disappointment.
The rest of the weekend was filled with General Conference, Conference and more Conference. I love hearing the words of living prophets and apostles, but I must say that I'd rather listen to them from my own living room than my parents'. I figured, if I was going to be in Utah, I darn well better be visiting people. But two-hour breaks in between sessions just didn't afford us that luxury. Sigh. Guess it will have to wait until Thanksgiving. Nonetheless, the kids behaved themselves quite well - allowing us to receive instruction and inspiration. General Conference never disappoints.
Last, but not least, Anna lost her first tooth! The day we all left to return home, she twisted it out amid the encouragement of the entire extended family. She started feeling the pressure as soon as uncle Eric broke out the pliers. Yikes! What a memory it was. The tooth fairy in our neighborhood was on the ball and snuck some money under her pillow long after her (and her mother) had gone to bed. Thanks tooth fairy, phew!
Great weekend. I love you all, family and friends!
5 comments:
Sounds like a great weekend! Minus the pliers...poor girl. I would love to see you when you come for Thanksgiving. We are headed to Brea's in AZ-but hopefully we can find a day that will work.
darn if you weren't so dang pretty.
if you weren't so dang pretty, I'd have seen your kids in the photo and how they have grown.
darn if you weren't so dang pretty, I'd have seen Tim and remembered who he was, or examined your siblings to see which one looked most like you, or read the rest of your post for heavens sake. But you are so darned pretty. And I lost my focus, and skipped to the end so I could tell you.
Cause dang it! you are so darn pretty!
Uh, thanks for the compliment! Especially since I threw the picture in ONLY because it included everyone, tossing out my vanity in the process. This was NOT a good one of me. But, thanks! Wow.
What a fun weekend that was...chaotic, but fun! Life sure is more exciting when you are all in town. Jane was catching up on sleep for days! She wore herself right out playing with the "cousins."
Wonderful Susie!!:) And toothless grins are my FAVORITE!! :)
Post a Comment