Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The pure love of Christ.

It's pretty much the same every day. She emerges from the gates of the school, scans the parking lot, then smiles slightly with reassurance that the white minivan awaits her. I step out of the car, wave and inch forward to greet her with a hug, and kiss, and a "How was school today?" She avoids me, instead running toward the car but she never makes it, for I know this is coming and have already swept her up into my arms while she fights tooth and nail for freedom.

I've tried to be good-natured about it. But today, I had already suffered through a "quiet time" where my dreams of a 20-minute power nap had been trampled by the tantrums of two overtired (yet fighting sleep) preschoolers, who consequently woke up their baby sister after a mere 30 minutes of slumber. I was in no mood for my oldest daughter to treat me like dirt... again. So instead of teasing her while I forced a hug from her fighting arms, I near-strangled her, whispering threateningly into her ear, "If you can't give me a hug when I pick you up from school, you'll start walking."

I punished her with silence when we got back to the car - sometimes the urge to grow up and forgive easily can't find its way past the hurt. She asked for a cookie. I curtly turned her down. As if that wasn't enough, she immediately jumped out of the car and sped across the lawn at the sight of a teacher from church. She hugged her and chatted for a moment, beaming all the while. I saw a different person in her from my forlorn seat behind the wheel. Why couldn't she find me worthy of the same treatment?

I'm well aware that some children stomp all over the ones who love them most, reserving only their best faces for those who, albeit kind and loving, are less deserving of the affection they receive. This particular child of mine is particularly difficult to love. And on this particular day, I felt betrayed. I sulked one last moment. Then I asked why she could be so nice to Sister P. when she repeatedly turns down my efforts to deliver affection. Lily (not the one in question) piped up from the back seat, "Sister P. is nicer than you, Mom."

Yes, I suppose she is. But how many times has Sister P. wiped your bum? When have you ever told her you wouldn't do something she politely asked? How many times has she had to remind you to wash your hands? How many bedtime stories has she read you? How many backscratches has she given you? When has she ever had to deal with your rude comments about how disgusting dinner is?

I could go on and on. Alas. This is parenthood. It requires a love unlike any other. I like to call it charity.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

My computer turned itself off just as I was finishing a long, philosophical response to your blog. I took that as a sign, and will say only this. Remember and cherish the sweet times with this precious daughter and hang in there! You know she loves you - SHE'S in the process of learning what love is.

Linda Oxborrow said...

well said- my son has told me numerous times that I am the worst mom in the world- last night was another one of those nights. The lady down the street is the BEST mom- ????? Charity?- it's the truth!!

Steph said...

Amen to Charity. I have trouble sometimes. I am told (often) that I must hate my child because I don't let him do _______, or am punishing him for his behavior. I know just how you feel...I take it and take it until it hits just the right button, then I let him have it about how good his life is... You're awesome! Don't be too discouraged.

Shannan said...

I just slapped Ruby...not hard..but a little slap across the mouth for sassing and screaming without listening to my sensible reasoning threats of going to a time out. I lost it and snapped and slapped and obviously I was the one who really needed a time out. She is sniffling in my arms right now now that I've settled down and apologized...I read the title of your post is the Pure Love of Christ. It isn't always easy to have when you are tired and strung out and have fielded one hundred questions and tantrums and messes all day long. You and I really do live a parallel life....feel better..at least your daughter will someday learn to love you. My daughter will learn to slap:)