Monday, February 8, 2010

Bits and pieces.

Eve's first tooth is finally coming in. Unbelievable - almost 13 months old and no teeth!

Lily got her five-year shots today. I don't know which she was more traumatized by - the shots or the fact that the doctor wanted to take a peek at her nether regions. I guess the modesty lesson hasn't fallen on deaf ears around here. While we were waiting for the doctor, I taught her how to count by twos to 100. Who knew our little right-brained smartie could pick up math so quickly!

Anna's allowance is contingent upon a few extra chores (in addition to basic family chores) including the folding and putting away of all her clean clothes. Yesterday she asked in complete bewilderment why she was out of underwear and why I hadn't washed her red dress. After peeking in her closet (empty), I asked her how long it had been since she actually hung up her clothes. They were stuffed in the storage space under her window seat. Every last article for the past two weeks, I'm guessing. Then we had a little talk about honesty. Again.

Is it normal for a three year old to be up in arms about virtually everything? Is it so hard to ask for help getting your coat on or does it make more sense to scream and flail aimlessly until somehow it miraculously puts itself on? Buckling seat belt, putting on shoes, wiping her bum, spilling milk - same scenario. I really, really hope that age three is not a foreshadowing of things to come at age 13.

We're buying our beef straight from the farm this year. One guy I called humanized the steer a bit too much when he told me what a "great guy" he was and how much fun his kids had had raising him. Man, I'm gonna have the guy butchered, can you spare me the details on his personality? Anyway, beef for a year or two going in the deep freeze.

Family Home Evening was delightful tonight. Teaching my kids the gospel and watching them grasp it line upon line... simply exhilarating.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Which of Eve's teeth is coming in? Is her behavior affected by it? And if Rachel's 13-year-old behavior is similar to her present emotional displays, at least you'll have PLENTY of experience in dealing with it! You're a great mom, Susie. Keep up the good work!

Shannan said...

Wow Rachel and Solomon could be twins with the crying. No matter what he is doing if it doesn't go right he is in tears. I am SO over it! I have been trying to teach him that he has to say,"Please help me." instead of screaming but it is slow going. The TEARS! I know he wants to be independent but it sure frustrates him. I feel like him though at times don't you???!! Like, I am doing my best as a mom and I SHOULD be able to do this but it's NOT WORKING! WAH WAH WAH!!! So I understand the feeling.:)

Stace said...

Oh man...when Taryn was 4 and the doctor wanted to check Chan's nether regions, she freaked and said he had to ask me first. Our good doc said "Mommy, I'd like to check the baby's diaper area. Is that okay?" Of course I said yes and Taryn replied with some smart remark about being lucky she was there to stop it!! At least they are learning about modesty!