I found the key to eliminating clutter. Once a year, I pretend I'm putting my house on the market. Motivated by the idea that my home will be seen regularly, I take one room at a time and purge. Clothes that I haven't worn in a year? Out. Toys that the kids won't even miss? Out. The half-broken kite that we've most certainly gotten our ten bucks worth out of? Out. The rock collection in Anna's closet? Okay, it stays. As long as it's out of sight! Yes, I'm a sucker for worthless childhood collections.
As long as they're out of sight. Last year, Anna was rather attached to her beebee collection, which sat on my kitchen counter for months (oh humanity!). I wracked my brain for a way to get her to part with it and, finally, when the 100th day of school celebration arrived, I convinced her to count out 100 of them to fulfill an assignment she was given. I threw the rest away. She still hates me for it. And... she's begun collection #2.
Anyway, I digress.
This week I dropped off 7 boxes of stuff at the D.I. I've thrown away loads of trash over the past 2 months. I'm selling a couple of things on ebay. And this, from a person who generally despises clutter as it is! (And who, also, had her house on the market - for real - less than two years ago.) I've come a long way since the days when my entire life could fit into my Geo Metro. Can I go back? Oh, and for the sake of visuals, how do you like my pantry (which hasn't yet undergone the 2010 overhaul)?
(circa 2010)
(circa 2008)
Thank heaven two years hasn't made it a
complete disaster. With four kids, entropy is inevitable, but I'm here to say it can be mitigated. And no, that is not the same jar of Skippy peanut butter. I do rotate my food storage. Occasionally.
4 comments:
We are pantry twins! Love this post. Glad you purge your house because seriously if you didn't you'd be over run by all the kids' clutter. It's amazing once they start school especially how much it starts piling up.
Oooooooooooooooh!
A pantry.
I haven't seen one of those. . . well. . . .since January 20th. . . in the faraway land of Boise.
I had a bizzare dream last night that you had to move suddenly, couldn't sell your house, so we moved in and rented it from you and rented our house to someone else. Wierd.
I think I could use your help in putting my house "on the market."
Can you come and "purge" my house! It needs it desperately!!!! I keep pretending that I am going to do it, and then, after bending over with this massive gut for the first item, I quickly change my mind. Maybe next year???
Post a Comment