Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just enough.

Perfection is a ambiguous term. In my life, I prefer "just enough" to the flawlessness that perfection implies. To me, a day is perfect when:

1. The kids got along just enough.
2. I got just enough done.
3. I spent just enough time with my husband and daughters.

Yesterday was one of those days. Did I check everything off my to-do list? Never. Was it devoid of temper tantrums? Not at all. Did I spread a gourmet meal across a fancily decorated table and enjoy it's deliciousness in the company of delightful children(and husband, though he's typically delightful)? What a joke.

Yet, at the end of the day I chatted with my mother briefly, who asked me how my day was. And I couldn't help but respond that it was great. In reflection, it might even have been perfect, for I was sublimely happy having accomplished "just enough".

4 comments:

Amy Heath said...

Susie! I love that you wrote this. These days are so rare, and yes...never totally void of our darling children's tantrums, but some days are just plain enjoyable. And I agree...not perfect...but just enough!!

Stace said...

That sounds perfect, just perfect!

Cherish said...

I like that motto...I think I'll adopt it. I also like what my RS Pres. always says, "Sister Perfect doesn't exist so don't compare yourself to her." Either way I like that we are good enough, as long as we are doing our best.

Annie said...

I need to write "just enough" on my fridge, on my windshield, on my mirror, on my hand, on Danny's forehead, and on my...and on my...etc.! Love the phrase!