About a month ago we completed the Book of Mormon as a family for the first time. The kids were terribly disappointed the next day when we opened up to 1st Nephi to start over again. I admit, it is a bit anti-climactic. But what an accomplishment! After all, we began over three years ago!
On a similar note, I purchased several CD's with scriptures put to music. As a kid, the hours we spent in the car were eased by listening to such (but not the exact same) scripture songs and consequently, I had many Bible and Book of Mormon scriptures memorized long before my early morning seminary days.
I had to cringe the first time I inserted one of the discs into our van's CD player - it's beyond cheesy. But, when Anna came up to me the other night, scriptures in hand and opened to Matthew 5:14-16 while singing the verses word for word, I was officially sold. Music is such an effective tool for memorization and learning and although its obvious that memorizing scriptures is not the only way to learn the word of God, it sure comes in handy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Music is a wonderful way to memorize! I still use the seminary song for the Old Testament when we're in some obscure book in Gospel Doctrine or Institute that I need to find and it doesn’t have a tab. Very useful! And of course the Article of Faith songs come in handy too. ;) But yes, very cheesy.
Looks like you had an eventful week! It will be good to finally meet you in a few.
We listen to Scripture Scouts a lot in the car (Emily is one of the voices) or Primary songs...but scriptures is a great idea. What CD did you get?
Post a Comment