Sometime in the past week, I celebrated a birthday. I use the term "celebrated" rather loosely, since it was really just an ordinary day, as one who is the mother of four young children might expect. So, ordinary, in fact, that when my husband came home for lunch, my kids were stumped by his mention of the occasion. What? It's mom's birthday? Did she make a cake? And, as a side note, I am not in the practice of making my own birthday cakes - I think the only reason to do so would be to "allow" the kids to celebrate on my behalf and, selfishly, I don't want to do something for the kids on my birthday. Furthermore, I turn down Tim's offer to make one every single year, simply because my birthday is always sandwiched between Anna's birthday and Easter and, let's face it, who needs another dessert? Much as I LOVE them, not me.
Many have asked me since how my birthday was. The truth is, once my kids discovered the fact, it was pretty crummy. Perhaps I'm not the only one who has adopted the same annoying practice of my own parents, who would ask only for obedience and kindness from their children as a birthday present. Well, my kids blew off that request within the first five minutes. Nah, mom couldn't possibly be serious. I'm telling you, they pulled out all the stops. I came darn near locking myself in my bedroom for hours on end. Oh, Tim did his best to make it special - but, having had a crummy day at work himself and coming home to an exasperated wife could do little to salvage what was left of my thirty-fourth birthday. Anna remarked sweetly to me before bedtime that night, "Mom, I'm sorry you had such a bad birthday." To which I could only reply, "It's okay, Anna. I have a wonderful life - I can handle a really bad day once in a while, even if it is my birthday." Next year, though, I won't bother telling you girls when my birthday rolls around. Deal?
P.S. Lest you think my birthday was an entire disaster, I will mention that facebook birthdays are pretty cool - I guess social networking is good for something after all. I was gifted a breakfast date with my neighbor and free babysitting from another friend so Tim and I could go out for lunch to an Indian buffet. Yum. And, Tim endowed me with two beautiful mahogany bookshelves to put in our living room. And a bouquet of roses. Can't complain at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Happy (belated) Birthday Susie!
Post a Comment